Remembering the Older Days of Reloading/Shooting

On the same token reflecting on these prices, don't forget inflation over time compared to what some of this stuff cost back then. Using 1965 as a reference there is an 850+/- % inflation. The federal minimum wage was also $1.25 which would be roughly $11.87 today.
Not saying it wasn't cheaper, because even when I started hand loading in 2008 things were much cheaper. Even though I found it to be quite expensive still but still a lot less than readymade ammunition. I'm not sure when the last time I bought anything but rimfire and carry ammunition at the store was.

Well as long as we're reminiscing:

I started reloading in 1961 for my M1 carbine. I could produce .30 cal cartridges for less than I could buy .22 rimfire! Trouble is, that carbine threw the empty cases far enough I couldn't always find them. A guy in town had a gun store in his garage. He had several drums of military surplus powder, and would weigh out however much you wanted in a brown paper bag. IIRC, that powder was about $2 a pound. He also had bins of part for military surplus firearms, and I bought an entire Garand trigger assembly for something like $5.00. I used mostly CCI primers, and although I don't remember the price I know it was doggone cheap.

Those were the days. Of course I had a weekend job that paid seventy-five cents an hour, so I didn't exactly have a lot of money for reloading supplies.

What's even more eye opening is that True-Value Hardware used to sell reloading supplies! 😀. Man, times have changed.
There was a true value hardware in Russellville, Alabama. It was one of the best gun stores around great selection of items, some for reloading, and an even better selection of rifles, shotguns and such. However, they got out of the gun business. I don't know possibly eight years ago.🙁

For me there was something special about being a kid, and going into the hardware store to get a paint brush, or a Revell Model , but staring at the Model 70 on the wall behind the counter. In 1958 0r 59. It was something so impressive to me !!!! "Grandpa, what does 30-06 mean??? "

I remember when match bullets were much less expensive than "hunting" bullets. Back in the days when reloading really did saved you a ton of money, or allowed you to shoot a bunch more. Getting slimmer margins these days.
It really depends on what you are reloading. 9mm is so cheap today (or was anyway) that I haven't even bothered to buy dies for my 9mm G17. My 405 Winchester is pretty much unobtanium even at $100 a box lately, so I'm rather glad to have a decent brass supply and a mold for that rifle. The Rums and belted mag rifles I own are somewhat in the middle.
AS to pricing, I'm still shooting some bullets I've bought at sub $10 a box and some primers I got for a buck a box on sale. Of course I was making 5 bucks an hour or less when I bought that stuff, so the inflation on the stuff pretty much mirrors real life. Some brands have taken advantage of the situation a bit, and I'll think twice before buying from them. I can still get a few brands for about where they should be, and I've been going there lately.
I've got a couple boxes of Speer 145gr Grand slams for my kid's 7rem in the mail; they were about $35 a hundred on sale. Some brands have gone to 30 to 50 per 50 for anything resembling a premium pill in 7mm. That's a bit strong IMO..

Last edited: