Reloading suggestions for .338 Lapua

I have a question.

I have the savage 110 fcp hs 338 Lapua and I am topping out at 85 grains of retumbo with a 280 grain Barnes LRX seated .100 off the lands and I am only getting 2707 fps. It isn't the bullet because 90 grains of retumbo with the 285 grain Hornady seated .010 off the lands also gave me flat primers, heavy bolt lift, and ejector mark. Should I give savage a call and request a new barrel or have them check it out? Or would I be better off just buying a Brux and being done with it? I will use this barrel for this hunting season because I may not have time to develope a new load.

Thanks for any help!

What is the fps suppose to be? My 300gr smk load is slower than yours.

Most people are getting 2800 fps in their 338 Lapua with 300 grain bullets so I figure I should be able to get at least that. And most people are topping out at around 90 grains of retumbo in a savage 338 Lapua with 300 grain bullets.

Most people are getting 2800 fps in their 338 Lapua with 300 grain bullets so I figure I should be able to get at least that. And most people are topping out at around 90 grains of retumbo in a savage 338 Lapua with 300 grain bullets.

Well I'm averaging 2658 fps with my savage 111 and more than happy with my groups at 1200 yards. Heck mine goes through 3/8 " steel plate at 600 yards without blinking. My load is on this thread. It's not a hot load. Not sure what your purpose is, but I'm concerned with accuracy much more than fps. I'd say get a tight group without worrying about fps and then add to it if u want more speed

Barnesuser28. I have the exact rifle as you. I Have had some issues with a sticky bolt lift also. I have shot both 250 and 300 grain SMK, out of Lapua brass only, (shooting no more then 86 grains of H1000 thus far.) I have approximately 85 rounds thru mine.
I think I have my problem figured out as to what caused my sticky boly lift, but only time will tell. I recently just broke out 20 new pieces of Lapua brass, and havent had a problem with any of these sticking.
What I have noticed is, that any round that has been a little sticky on extraction, will be worse on the next firing. Most of my problem seems to be on the case head.

Barnesuser28. I have the exact rifle as you. I Have had some issues with a sticky bolt lift also. I have shot both 250 and 300 grain SMK, out of Lapua brass only, (shooting no more then 86 grains of H1000 thus far.) I have approximately 85 rounds thru mine.
I think I have my problem figured out as to what caused my sticky boly lift, but only time will tell. I recently just broke out 20 new pieces of Lapua brass, and havent had a problem with any of these sticking.
What I have noticed is, that any round that has been a little sticky on extraction, will be worse on the next firing. Most of my problem seems to be on the case head.
Are you fl sizing? Does the head of the case have a mark like the bolt face swiped against it? If i fl size i dont get heavy bolt lift but if my charge gets any higher i get an ejector mark, flattened primers, and sticky bolt lift.

I FL resize. Head case has an ejector mark on it. I was no where near the lands, and 6 grains under max on the H1000 (92 being max). I love the gun, it shoots everything great, some loads just better then others :)

I jumped on this one a little late. I have a TRG 42 338. My load for the 300 smk is 93.5 Grs Retumbo, Lapua brass, 215m primers. I jump the bullet .0020. The velocity is 2812 and the accuracy is awesome. Put 5 at .615 at 300 yards. 1.5 to 2.5inch 3 shot groups at 850. The other day shot 3.5" at 1400, 6.5" at 1663. Can't stop shooting it. Have over 900 rounds through already. I have also had good luck with Norma Brass. I neck size only for about 5 times and then full Length again. I do anneal every time. It is the most consistent rifle I have. Any of you tried 225 grain bullets?

getting ready for rifle season and i am curious what kind of damage i should expect out of the 250 smk or 300smk. I konw the box says not for game but ive shot a mule deer with .308 168 smk and it dropped dead faster than any other bullet. i now use SGK 165 bthp and it works flawless on elk and deer with little to no blood shocked meat.
i guess what im asking is should i start looking at hornaday hunting bullets or are the SMKs good enough.
on an up note 2nd shot at 900 yards drilled a 10" rock. First time shooting over 300 yards seriously.

well my ejector tab finally broke is this a local gunsmith problem or send it to savage and wait 7 weeks?
has savage gotten better turn around times or is fall taking its toll?

I just traded for a 338 Lapau Savage FCP, It came w/ 2 boxes of Hornady loaded ammo. I believe it is Lapau brass as the weight from each empty brass was within a 1/2 gr if that much difference and looking at the annealing on it looks an awful lot like my other Lapau brass. Is this correct?
I ordered some 250gr Bergers and some 225 Nosler Accubonds to start with. I have also mounted a 6.5x20x50 LR Leupold on it. With the factory loads it shot to 5/8" MOA at 200 yds. I also had one fail to ignite so I pulled the bullet (250 Hornady BTHP) and weighed the powder and it weighed 89 grs. Just wondering what powder it would have been.
Thanks guys

The case heads will state 338 Lapua but Lapua brass will have the Lapua trademark stamped on each one and a distinctive anneal ring if they aren't tumbled.

If it's a hornady loaded round, powder will be hard to ascertain. Hornady uses their own proprietary blend. If the case is loaded Lapua, it will be Vitavouri, Same with PPU. PPU also uses Vitavouri. Too bad their primers are junk.

getting ready for rifle season and i am curious what kind of damage i should expect out of the 250 smk or 300smk. I konw the box says not for game but ive shot a mule deer with .308 168 smk and it dropped dead faster than any other bullet. i now use SGK 165 bthp and it works flawless on elk and deer with little to no blood shocked meat.
i guess what im asking is should i start looking at hornaday hunting bullets or are the SMKs good enough.
on an up note 2nd shot at 900 yards drilled a 10" rock. First time shooting over 300 yards seriously.

I've had the same experience with my 308 lobbing 168 SMK's.

I'd stick with the heavy SMK's in your 338.

It's a fun to shoot (at a price) firearm.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.