Reloading questions on 280AI and 270WSM

Hey everyone.

Got a few quesitons. My dad shoots a Cooper excalibur M52 (24" barrel 1:9 twist I believe) in 280AI and I shoot a Tikka T3 lite stainless 270WSM.

He is heading up my way to visit for a couple weeks and we wanted to learn to reload together.

We currently both shoot Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo with the ELD-X and they group really well in both guns. (Half to 3/4 MOA at 400 yards on a calm day). So factory ammo works well but for cost and fun we want to reload basically.

Anyways the questions are:

1. Research seems to show that there is a whole whack of powders people shoot for each one, but one that both seem to say allow higher muzzle velocity and still gets recommendations for both calibers is RL-19. Just want to confirm this would be an ok choice for both of our guns?

2. The .277 bullet for me is the 145gr ELD-X and for him it is the 162Gr ELD-X. My barrel is 10" twist and his 9". Would these be ok within 500 yards for stabilization?

3. For my gun, I tried to measure the lands but they are WAY fuckin out there on the Tikka. As in I couldn't even properly crimp the bullet in the shell if I did 0.050 off the lands, never mind fit it in the magazine. So the jump is going to be huge. Now the factory ammo seems to shoot under an MOA but I've heard that large jumps are less good on secant ogive bullets like the ELD-X and it is better to use tangent ogive (like say a Barnes LRX) when there is a big jump. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help everyonne. I'm not quite a long range hunter (most of my shots are in the 300-400 range) but this is a great forum so figured you guys would know your ----.
I've had great results in my 280AI with R-19 which I found after having pretty darn good results with IMR-4831. I use Nosler Accubonds in 160gr and am very happy with them.

I had a 280 ai cooper 52 shot the Berger 168 classic with reloader 23 58 grains a little less than 3000 FPS. Mag box wouldn't let me get anywhere near lands couldn't get vld's to shot very well. I'm using reloader 26 in my 270 wsm at .015 off the lands 150 vld's those two powders should both work fine. Clean burning and temp stable reloader 26 will give best velosity in my experience

I've had good results with my W70 chambered in 270WSM with the 145ELDX and IMR7977. The throat on my rifle is also REALLY long, but it's shooting pretty well with a decent jump. I found a nice accuracy node at 3140fps

I thought it would be but I jUst haven't tried it seems like both of those powders shot well and easy to find loads for them

Hi, I have been Loading 270Win,and 270 Weatherby Mag for a very Long time. My pet Whitetail deer load in my Weatherby Ultralight, 24 inch BBL in .270 Win is 59.5 grns. of H-4831 with a 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, Win LR Primers , Matched Win Cases separated by 2/10 of a grain. .This combo will shoot three shot 3/4 inch groups unless I over heat the barrel. In my Model 70 Win Super Grade I use IMR 4350 . The case capacity of the .270 Win and the .280 are not that far apart . In My 270 Weather Mag , I have 130 grain loads with 67 grains of IMR 4350 and 150 grain loads using H -4831 or H 4831-SC. Because there are Deer Hunting Rifles COAL is determined by magazine length. Sadly !!!

If the precision hunter ammo shoots that well, maybe measure the overall length on the factory ammo and try to duplicate the factory load. magpro and reloder 26 works well for a 270wsm. The 10 twist will be fine. I'm working on loads now with the 145 eldx in a 270 win. I have no experience with a 280ai but it sounds like you are on the right path as the eldx bullets I have shot are accurate. I'm sure someone will chime in as there are many good folks on the forum with lots of experience. Good luck to you.

Couldn't agree more with the starting point of using the oal that you have demonstrated works in factory as a starting point. Insisting that you have to start just off the lands and tune seems to be a mistake when it appears you already have a good starting point. Work forward from what works on OAL would be my thought

For the 280 and 270 WSM, any of the great powders like H1000, 7828SSC, 23, 26, 17, H4831 will produce great accuracy. Some may be a touch faster than the others but they have all worked great for me.

Like the others mentioned, I've seen the ELD's jumped quite a ways and still do excellent such as your 270 with the factory ammo.

Good luck, no need to get too mixed up if you're just starting out. H4350 or H4831 are both top performers and will make good speed in each case, temp stable and accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.