Reloading 270WSM

Salbo

I just acquired a Rem Model 7 270 WSM and like to reload 140gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets for it. I would appreciate any input.

It is fairly easy to load. I've found that exceeding factory performance is not that easy so don't worry if loads are not quite as speedy as factory. In My rifles trim length is pretty important. I use a lot of Rl22 and 4350. I have had success with Retumbo, RL 33, Magpro,etc.

Currently I use RL 22 with 130's, Retumbo with 140's, and RL 33 with 165's.

My loads are this, 130 grain berger with 76.5 grains magpro moly coated at 3,427fps I'd start at 72.5 and work up. My 150 gr bergers are 72 grains to 72.5 at 3,216fps on a warmer day the fps are 3300. That's all different with the 130gr hornady SST at 3390fps at 76.5 gr magpro. With the 110grain ttsx barns I'm running 3800 fps with 80 grains magpro. Now!!! These are max in my rifle do not just copy mine with out starting lower.. I've tried reloader 22 and Ihave a good load with the 130 gr and suiperformance powder @ 3494fps. This round rocks, but it is a dirty powder.. All my rounds are moly coated and iI spray them on with ms moly can spray.

Also when sizing cases make sure you use a q tip and put some case lube on the neck. I've had problems with it not sizing right and had to run it through again. Make sure you have sufficient lube, the wsm is the only round I got stuck in a die. All because I didn't use enough lube.. Over 20years reloading all kinds of round. 300 weatherby,270 win,6mmrem,30-06, 30 carbine, ect,,, just pay attention and don't forget any steps..

Salbo,
Thanks for trying our bullets!. One thing you may find in doing your bullet seating depth testing is that the round will no longer cycle through the magazine. And you will have to use the rifle in a "single shot" mode. If this is unacceptable try our 130 grain CLASSIC HUNTER bullets. These are a HYBRID design that is designed to work through you magazine box and is very easy to tune to your rifle. If you need any more help please feel free to contact us in this string.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.