Reloading prices poll.

Should we start to boycot these companies charging extortionatly high prices on reloading supplies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm just looking into reloading, I guess the question is, is it still cheaper than buying factory rounds.
As you're making your own special ammo, then there within is the question.
You should consider several factors to help you decide. How many guns would you be reloading for, how long do you expect to use the equipment that you need for reloading, how much recreational value will you get from reloading or will it just be another chore in your already busy schedule? The initial expense for reloading can be large, but if you are young and can spread that cost over several years, then it becomes less of an issue as long as its within your ability to make the initial investment. Otherwise, there is fantastically accurate and effective factory ammo being manufactured today, that in some guns can be hard to improve upon, if you can find it. For me, it was the desire to make shooting more economical over the long haul, but more important factors were accuracy and the independence of making my own, so as to not be totally dependent on supplies during lean times. I guess my bottom line is that no, you won't save money reloading, but you will shoot more, become more effective, gain a level of Independence that the average customer doesn't enjoy, and you'll have more fun than a barrel of monkeys in the process!

As we all know, reloading supply prices are crazy. How about a boycot? Vote how you feel and make a statement.
If anything needs to be boycotted it's the Gov't industrial War machine, the rich keep this world divided and oppress the people.
We don't need rich people telling us what to do, and making laws that support them, but don't apply to them, That's the issue.

If anything needs to be boycotted it's the Gov't industrial War machine, the rich keep this world divided and oppress the people.
We don't need rich people telling us what to do, and making laws that support them, but don't apply to them, That's the issue.
Agree

The issue as I see it is that there are 80 million plus gun owners in the U.S.

Only about 8 million plus reloaders

And all 120,000 odd members of LRH can boycott all day long......

What impact would we have unless all the rest get with the program?

You better get what you can and what you can afford.
This isn't getting any better.
You boycott and your neighbor buys it all up.
I don't reload and shoot guns for necessity, I do it because I love the hobby. People who are passionate are going to move forward with it. People who complain and boycott are going to be without.

This topic has come up many times on the forum.

I have just lived with powder is going to be running $40-50 per lb depending on what you want. Some are higher. Primers are crazy. The last brick of 1000 I bought was $90 and at that time people were calling it crazy. I have been able to acquire some more through trades. Seeing them pop up for $200+ a brick now makes me cringe. For powders with most websites limiting to 2lbs makes it tough on shipping and hazmat. Some sites let you go to 4 or 5, and then when the 8's pop up it helps spread out the shipping a little.

One great element of LRH forum is we have been able to network locally and swap things we seldom use or from abandoned reloading projects.

I sure hope it settles down, but I don't see it anytime soon.

For those new to reloading, I recommend people look for local sales of people getting out of it. You can usually get powder and primers in the sale to get you started even if it's something you don't need. You then have trade pieces to ease the wallet pain of getting into an expensive hobby.

For the off the shelf stuff it is nuts too. My brother in law sent me a photo of Remington Core-Lokt for $80 a box. I bought some Nosler Trophy Grade about 2 1/2 years back on sale for $35 a box. Now it's pushing $100. A rifle of mine likes the heck out of 'em, but since I primarily reload for rifle, I worked up a load that gives me great results. It did force me to discover and like Nosler AB for that gun, and getting that bullet in the weight I want now is next to impossible.

Yes, actually it does. House prices spike and drop over time. Gas prices go up and down over time. And ammo related prices also go down when shortages end, like they did when the last ammo shortage subsided around 2010. Once the shelves are stocked again, sellers will have to drop their prices to be competitive and sell their merch.
Hopefully!!

Think there will be a LONG wait if your gonna sit on the side lines and watch. I'm not going to pay $500 for 8lbs but I jump at 350-370 which is $100 more than I was paying. Inflation never goes backwards. I think it will steady out but as long a Biden and his type are in power we all have no choice but to keep buying what we can.
We don't HAVE to buy anything. This is much more tha inflation my friend and unless you were smart enough to stock up a long time ago you'll either go broke or end your hobhy thanks to those in power throughout our sick world.

Acting like big city black friday shoppers doesn't help the situation much. A boycott is a pipe dream.
Unless manufacturers have changed directions, once 9mm and 223 ammo is restocked, things will scale back. People hoard these 2 ammos and I assume survival instincts.
Me being the borderline genius that I am, I look at Wild Bill Hickock, I am sure his kill counts were inflated some, but one and done. How many firefights will I survive, lol

I'm not exactly boycotting but I won't pay GB prices or anything else I deem too much. I'll accept the increase in powder and bullet costs but primers going up to $130 per 1000 before hazmat and shipping I won't pay. $79 per thousand is pushing it but still in the acceptable range based on the cost of everything else. I mean I can't believe I'm still getting free shipping when diesel is north of $6 per gallon.
I recently paid $90/1000 for CCI BR2 primers at one store and $100/1000 at another. That's more than twice the cost from two years ago. I find this acceptable, though, because without them I'm out of business. I have everything else I need in comfortable amounts. So... with a newly rebarreled 6.5PRC with Shilen barrel coming back from the gunsmith in several weeks, I'm ready to go. It was worth a few extra bucks to be able to work with this rebuild. Hey... it's only money! -CWE

Choose who you shop with carefully. I'm not buying much from Midway right now for example and choosing to focus my spending with companies like Powder Valley and Natchez among others. I will not buy on Gun Broker anymore and that is probably permanent.

And be prepared for prices to continue to rise - like everything else, fuel prices will make everything more expensive and inflation in general will keep driving labor costs up, too. As investors look more and more to commodities over stocks and bonds, prices of metals and other materials will also keep going up.