reloading presses???

tfrag06

Years agao, I used to reload handgun ammo with a Lee progressive rig. I don't hear of any of you using progressives... Why? poor tolerances / poor control?

Suggestions?

I can only speak for myself, but I started out on a single stage press and enjoy the hobby of handloading, that I am not in a hurry to finish so many rounds in so and so time. I don't shoot competition so my many trials, for handguns, are different hard cast bullets, soft or swaged lead bullets for target/plinking, powders and accuracy, and even some of the many jkt bullets I've stockpiled over the years. Same with rifle loads.

I just don't have certain loads worked up for certain pistols and am always trying some new powder or load or bullet.

Bill

TFRAG06,
I have the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP and enjoy it emmensly. The only problem I have is keeping components supplied. Once it is tuned and set-up away you go. It's nothing to run through 500 rounds in about an hour. I currently load .45 ACP with it now, but next week I plan on buying the shell plate for .40 S&W/.357 Sig. I have loaded 9mm, .44 Spcl and Magnum with it and it did just fine. I did load some .270 Win for a buddy and those loads printed around a 1/2" @ 100yds. He used them for deer hunting and was tickled with the performance.
I can't speak for other progressive presses but this one is built right and is a marvel to see and use. Hope this helps. Johnny K.

I use a Dillon RL 550 for all my reloading, I don't use it as a progressive press but like the ease I can switch calibres by exchanging toolheads. I use it as a single station, but with the neck size, powder funnel and seating die fitted to each toolhead so that I can do any part of the reloading process easily. I have to say that I throw my powder charges from the dillon powder measure into a spent case then weigh the charge and trickle upto the required weight. The Dillon is a very easy press to use, it produces match accurate reloads and I wouldn't change it for anything. FYI, I load 22-250AI, 25-06 and 6.5x284 at present with Redding Comp dies. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That makes me feel better. I was planning on looking into a high quality progressive rig, but got a touch nervous when you precision maniacs (compliment) seemed to all be using "all other".
I'm just out of the Army, just married, headed to a new job, gonna move again, and gonna buy a house in the next 12mo.... but I sure am lining up my ducks waiting 'till the old gal tells me to pull the trigger on my shop equipment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.