Reloading Issue: Why do measurements vary?

Reloading any cartridge, when you finish seating the bullet and measure successive fully-loaded cartridges, the measurements should be identical. That is, the distance between the shell holder and the bullet seating die are a constant. So regardless of variations in cartridge case length and carrying bullet lengths, the overall length, Cartridge Base to Orgive should be constant. This assumes no "stretch" or play in the loading machinery. I notice this in all different calibers. What am I missing"
A quality seating die is what you need

Lots of "not the best" on the lists. 😉
What a statement....
Do some research...... instead of forming an unjustified opinon.....
How many national matches have you shot to establish your opinion.?????
At my peak I,ve shot in 2 Nationals.2007 and 2011.....
shooters from all over the world.....
No I did,nt win..... but I did,nt embarrass mself.
most friendly and share info....
The equipment list shows what the majority uses......

The equipment list shows what the majority uses......
Since when does the "majority" have anything to do with "the best." On just what basis do you draw your conclusion that I haven't "done my research?" If your entire argument is that you know what you're talking about, and I don't... regardless of facts, just let me know and I'll end this discussion.

"Best" optic is a nightforce scope? Sorry, but I don't think so. lol

Benchmark barrels must not shoot, because only 3 people use them... so the 150 or so I've done load workups on shooting in the .2's or better must just be a fluke?

Only 3 people running Alpha Munitions brass... it must be terrible too huh? No, actually it's better than Lapua. Last year there were more benchrest records set with Alpha, than any brass ever in one year. Almost no one was using it.

Some of the "best" lines up with "most" on your precious lists... yet the correlation does not equal causation. Most people are woefully inadequate to place any products in a hierarchy... even within their own discipline. They simply do not have the funds or the time to own and use enough samples of each to draw a right and proper conclusion. So they use what they use, and that doesn't mean anything other than that's what they use. If EVERYONE switched over to Alpha brass... everyone would experience better performances very likely, yet there's a problem: Square range shooters are notoriously stuck in their ways. The people consistently winning are consistently changing. Everyone else is just there to feed them points. Just like every other competition... the top 5-10 people at each event are the only ones actually competing. The rest lost before they showed up. They aren't shooters. Shooting is their hobby, it's not what they are.

What would the majority of them, know about the best of anything?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Since when does the "majority" have anything to do with "the best." On just what basis do you draw your conclusion that I haven't "done my research?" If your entire argument is that you know what you're talking about, and I don't... regardless of facts, just let me know and I'll end this discussion.

"Best" optic is a nightforce scope? Sorry, but I don't think so. lol

Benchmark barrels must not shoot, because only 3 people use them... so the 150 or so I've done load workups on shooting in the .2's or better must just be a fluke?

Only 3 people running Alpha Munitions brass... it must be terrible too huh? No, actually it's better than Lapua. Last year there were more benchrest records set with Alpha, than any brass ever in one year. Almost no one was using it.

Some of the "best" lines up with "most" on your precious lists... yet the correlation does not equal causation. Most people are woefully inadequate to place any products in a hierarchy... even within their own discipline. They simply do not have the funds or the time to own and use enough samples of each to draw a right and proper conclusion. So they use what they use, and that doesn't mean anything other than that's what they use. If EVERYONE switched over to Alpha brass... everyone would experience better performances very likely, yet there's a problem: Square range shooters are notoriously stuck in their ways. The people consistently winning are consistently changing. Everyone else is just there to feed them points. Just like every other competition... the top 5-10 people at each event are the only ones actually competing. The rest lost before they showed up. They aren't shooters. Shooting is their hobby, it's not what they are.

What would the majority of them, know about the best of anything?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

well,you answered your own question......
what is the most preferred bullet......
the list shows the one most used.....
if they could use a better bullet..... like the one you advertise for....
dont you think they would be using it....?????

well,you answered your own question......
what is the most preferred bullet......
the list shows the one most used.....
if they could use a better bullet..... like the one you advertise for....
dont you think they would be using it....?????
What bullet do I advertise for?

I think you are badly misinformed. In many ways.

I sort bullets to 5 weights with weights to the .001 of a grain. You would be surprised how much wt. varries even in the same box. Some time a + or - 1.5 gr variance. Jim
Have you found it useful to you to sort by bullet weight as that has very little impact on BC?

Match results dont agree......
What do match results have to do with consistent measurements seen by that poster in his/her experience? Are Hammers, followed by Berger NOT the most dimensional accurate bullets used by that poster just because lead wadcutters for instance win some type of competition? Are there perhaps equal or better dimensionally accurate bullets available…likely, but you post was in no way helpful in providing data or at least alternatives or even less less an explanation of your assertion.

Thank you for your contribution.

I get your drift fella..... and you are very correct.....
but........ I was talking about same mfg.bullets from same lot.
They will vary in length therefore vary in weight.
Thats why we meplat bullets....
No.
You may meolat bullets for weight however that is NOT the general intention of meplat trimming. Bullet weight variations has the least to do with BC while exterior shape such as length or nose profile to air contact consistency has far more effect.

Length has absolutely no direct corelation to weight in bimetallic bullets, Period. Measuring the variations in the length of the lighter material dies NOT AT ALL equal the weight or dimension of the heavier metal inside. Sorting the outside dimension and/or uniforming the outside dimension does uniform the aerodynamics of the exterior profile though. Uniformity of the jacket wall, centering of the lead core, consistent velocity, bullet runout in cartridge, chamber runout from bore and exterior shape consistency have far more to due with accuracy than +/- the weight a sliver of copper.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you do in-fact meplat (trim) bullets for weight, I would suggest you research how a bullet BC is calculated and much value weight consistency has in that calculation.

Attachments

• 22-250 Rem 700.jpg
    22-250 Rem 700.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9

Recent Posts