Reloading for Browning BAR

• Thread starter Deleted member 103481
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103481

This comes up from time to time on various forums so I figured why not keep a data log of my experiences reloading for BAR on here. Maybe it will help someone out, and maybe I'll need it if I forget my notebook on a range day :) I've long put off loading for these as so many talk about issues with used bras and dies, and been focused on other rifles.

Follow your reloading book over me at all times, don't be an idiot. People make clerical errors, and while I have no intentions of going over book max I can recall things or type them out incorrectly. Your ignorance only hurts you. Be warned.

First handloads down this 3006 Browning BAR, it's a mk2 safari I think made in 2001 if you care.

150 Hornady fmj-bt
44.0 grains H4895
Used Remington brass bumped 5 thousandths
Fed 210M
velocity: 2521 SD 14 ES 28

942401C0-1DC9-4E8C-B664-FFE0D1CA5487.jpeg

I don't have target pictures but this repeated with the magnetospeed, I then went up to 45.0 grains H4895 and it printed .95" with the magnetospeed.

Took both to 600 on a big plate and the 45 grain load held together a bit better but I think that's partially wind, the 45 grain load is about 100 fps faster

I will be loading some more with 4895 and also imr4350 but I think this is a good start.

I am impressed. I had a BAR in 30-06 and never could get it to shoot <1" groups regardless of the load.
Thank you, that's not the first time I've been told that. I'm very happy with the accuracy but I'm a little concerned with the speed. While I do not plan to use the fmj for hunting I am considered it substituting it for the 150sst.

just not sure how that bullet will do a 2525 muzzle velocity. Though I do hear they are soft (why I picked them)

My pet load for my BAR Grade 1 I bought in 1986 is 48.5 grains of 4064 pushing 190 grain Hornady interlock boat tails or 180 grain flat base interlocks. Small base die. Was a 1" gun....now its opened up but I'd tote this gun anywhere with confidence. I recently started needing a case gauge because of the number if times I've reloaded some of my brass.

I've owned 3. Just used regular Redding dies, only sizing enough to get reliable feeding and chambering.
All had BOSS and all would shoot 3 sub moa. 243, 300 WM and 338 WM. Zero problems with any of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.