Loading for Browning BAR

Dosh

My coworker asked me to load some Bergers for his Browning BAR in 30-06. I have loaded for several 30-06 bolt rifles, but never for a semi-auto. Can standard Redding FL dies be used? Can standard loading manual charges and length specs be used? I would deeply appreciate any experienced input.

Thanks,
Dosh

You MUST use full length dies. Be conservative on the COAL and make sure the feed ramp in the magazine is in harmony with the ogive of the bullet. Sounds difficult, but it is a simple thing. FYI,, I ALWAYS use mag primers in auto non mag cartridges. They burn the powder cleaner and the pressure curve to operate the auto is more linear.

IEH, thanks, I was hoping the FL dies would do it and like the tip on the primers. I will load to the manual specs and pay special attention to the case overall length.

On any gas blowback action, COAL is very important as well as trim length because, unlike a bolt action where you feed the next round by cycling the bolt, a blowback action, strips the spent casing and using the feed ramps, inserts another in a split second so speed necessitates a loose (compared to a bolt rifle fit

Load every round to SAMMI specs and pay close attention to case length Don't try to stretch the COAL out (like a bolt rifle) for better group size, they won't feed properly and my not feed at all.

Thank s a lot Flip, all knowledgable info from forum members. I was told the small base dies are not necessary as long as the cases are FL sized and trimmed to spec. This guy is a super person and I want his Browning to shoot very well for his upcoming cow elk hunt. Thanks a lot for the info.

Dosh

Heya Dosh... I know you said you were going to be loading Berger, but I didn't catch the bullet. If you are loading VLDs, I'd be somewhat conservative on your powder charges, because I'd you are loading VLDs to SAAMI specs, that bullet is going to run pretty deep into your case, increasing pressure considerably. I'd check velocity on the lowest recommended powder charge and see where you are at before working up more loads.

JBBUYS, he hasn't been able to find the 168 Bergers and came up with 165 Accubonds. This will make it easier to load for his Browning. He's bringing brass, powder and bullets today. I will load 5 rounds of each test load and shoot them at the range. Thanks members for all the input.

Dosh

I have reloaded for my BAR in 30-06 for over 30 Years

I use RCBS Small base Sizer Die that was originally made for the BAR

I use IMR 4350 with all my loads.

I use WW brass and Fed 210 Match primers

Nosler BT and AB in 165/180

Note: If you would like to use Bergers I suggest the new Classic Hunter Berger Bullets I believe the regular berger Hunting VLD will be too long.

Thank you all for the info, we have found Lapua brass and the H4350 now to the loading bench. Will also load for his back up rifle, you guessed it a Browning BAR in .270 Win.

Dosh

I used to have a BAR 30-06 , looking at my load data for it I had good luck with IMR4064 and 150 gr hornady SP and SST at 48 grs but that was a little slow around 2700 fps( .75" group @100yds).
IMR4350 loads with 150gr Hornady SST at 58 grs shot under a inch to.(never cronied them but they were getting near max load)
I tried several nosler ,serria and swift bullets in mine but it shot the hornady the best and I think it shot the lighter bullets better but I really never played to much with the heavier bullets in it as it was my deer gun.
I now have a 270 BAR and it likes IMR4350 with 130 gr Hornady SST'S.
Good luck

I have loaded well over 1000 rounds for my BAR in 270 win. This is a very comfortable gun to shoot all day; 10 lbs loaded up with sling (w/o bipod of course).

I started with W760 because I thought the automatic would do well with a fast powder. I quickly develeloped a pet load with 760 is 52.0gr, Rem 9 1/2 primers, 130 gr Hdy Interlocks (cheapest bullets I could find when I stared out.. Velocity is only about 2790. These cloverleaf at 100, but I do experience a wide ES with 760 and accuracy suffers if the charge is increased much.

56.6 gr 760 + rem primers, also drives 110 Sierra SPs very well. 3190fps, tight groups but high ES.

H4350 produces a much tighter ES but the accuracy nodes seem about the same. But I can jack up the velocity to 2970 with no pressure signs, unlike 760. So now I've shifted over to using mostly H4350...love it.

130gr SSTs + 53.0 gr give 2940fps with low ES and SD, and shoots under .5".

A great hunting load is the 130 TSX, 54.0 or 54.4 gr H4350 GM210M primers. (GM210s seem hotter and flatten out earlier than Rem 9 1/2) .25" 4 shot groups @100. 2960fps.

I have not been able to break 3000 fps with 130 gr bullets without pressure or loosing accuracy. I cannot get up to the velocities listed in several reloading manuals with the corresponding charges. It does not seem to be just the 22" barrel vs. the 24" because the speeds are 100+ fps lower. This made me buy a 7mm RM, but the recoil makes me want to rebarrel it to a 24" 270win.

I was concerned about using a bipod since the barrel is not free floated and thought the barrel resonance would be affected but recently stared doing so, and it does not seem to affect it at all. My groups are tighter now than with the not so great bag I was using on the bench before.

I'd like to hear your experience with the charges vs. velocities. I've thought of going to IMR 4831 to get more speed without pressure signs but don't know if it would work.

Rebarrel a BAR ......not!

Better off buying a bolt action.

Most of the BAR when they were introduced in the late 60's

The piston gas system were designed for IMR 4350

30-06, 270 , 7 mm Mag ,300 win ,338 win

Rebarrel a BAR ......not!

Better off buying a bolt action.

Most of the BAR when they were introduced in the late 60's

The piston gas system were designed for IMR 4350

30-06, 270 , 7 mm Mag ,300 win ,338 win

No I was not talking about rebarreling my 270 BAR...I love it the way it is! The .25" - .5" 4 shot groups includes a flier! The other 3 are in a tight cloverleaf. The BAR recoils very little due to its weight and gas piston. 30 rounds in a day is no problem. Interesting that you say it was made to perform optimum with 4350 because that's what I've settled on after a fair amount of experimentation.

I was talking about rebarreling a Savage bolt action 7mm RM, 24" barrel - no break - that kicks me like a mule on the bench to 270win which I find very tolerable even in a lighter bolt and has plenty of terminal effect. Since a 270 is good out to 600 on deer type game I don't really need the extra umph that the 7 provides. But then again, maybe its my form at the bench...or maybe get a break put on it. I just think the 270 is the perfect balance between recoil and deadliness.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.