Lee .50 Browning loading equipment

specweldtom

Only gun guys will understand how this happened.

I don't have a .50 and have no prospects either, but I got some .50 cal stuff in boxes from a salvage warehouse. After awhile I couldn't stand it, and never having loaded the .50, I had to give it a try. Had enough stuff to load unprimed dummys to test the equipment and process.

The press and dies are Lee's and have a 1 1/4" thread and have to be used together. Looks like everybody else makes 1 1/2" thread dies and presses.

Almost stuck the first case, but switched to RCBS case lube and had no more trouble. The primers were hard to punch out, but I resized and deprimed 3 hulls without a mess-up and stopped there. The bullets I scrounged up are Hornady A-Max's and the dummy rounds make very impressive desk ornaments.

I put everything in a toolbox to sell the whole kit, but may hang on to it for awhile. I may want to play with it some more.

Bottom line is that the Lee stuff is about half the cost of the other brands and worked fine for me. 3 rounds is a small sample, and my impression is that loading the .50 is different enough to require some experimentation, but is fairly straightforward if you're careful.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.