Lee vs RCBS presses and equipment

I started out, a little over fifty years ago, with RCBS. I've tried just about everything else throughout those years and I have always come back to RCBS. Not only do they make an excellent product, they back their products with sincerity. My close second choice would be Redding.

Couple of additions. Add a grease fitting to the lower body on any cast press to lubricate the ram (makes lubricating the sliding surfaces easier and quick). Latest models from everyone are coming through with a grease fitting now.....

and, I have every die made, from Wilson to Lee but if you can afford the price, Whidden Gunworks makes the most accurate bottleneck dies in both fixed cavity and bushing styles, you can't go wrong with Whidden dies IMO.

I started with the cheap Lee aluminum press. It worked for about 5 years and then some how I bent the small pin that attaches the straps to the ram. I then starting having issues sizing my 257 weatherby.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The cheap Lee aluminum press" is their excellant little "Reloader"; last I looked it was selling new for about $30. The small size and low price ought to be a clue it's not in the same league with any iron or larger alum press and was never expected to handle belted magnum rifle cases - the fact that it does it at all is quite impressive to me.

Try a magnet on that Hornady press body, it's aluminum too.

A light oil is best for rams. Grease is no asset for what's needed and grease holds onto spent primer grit to make an abrasive slurry that oil will carry away as it drains.

A light oil is best for rams. Grease is no asset for what's needed and grease holds onto spent primer grit to make an abrasive slurry that oil will carry away as it drains.

Interesting in as much as the newest RCBS press has a zerk fitting from the factory....just say'in.

So what is the problem with the lee cast iron press, its srong and solid.

Interesting in as much as the newest RCBS press has a zerk fitting from the factory....just say'in.

Dont know about anyone elses presses but mine are a TIGHT fitbetween frame and ram. Ive thought about drilling and installing a zerk but using one of those tools for "frozen" bearings...?? Looks like a very small grease gun but you use oil and inject it into the same where the ram travels...??

Dont know about anyone elses presses but mine are a TIGHT fitbetween frame and ram. Ive thought about drilling and installing a zerk but using one of those tools for "frozen" bearings...?? Looks like a very small grease gun but you use oil and inject it into the same where the ram travels...??

Gemplers sells them, called a 'Grease fitting rejuventaor'. I have one and it works quite well on plugged firrings where the grease has hardened. You fill the tool with light oil (I use motoir oil), screw on the top. put it on the fitting and wack it with a hammer and the tool injects the oiul in the fitting, flushing out the hardened grease.

I believe the tool is about 50 bucks. SOP for every farmer, including me.

Gemplers sells them, called a 'Grease fitting rejuventaor'. I have one and it works quite well on plugged firrings where the grease has hardened. You fill the tool with light oil (I use motoir oil), screw on the top. put it on the fitting and wack it with a hammer and the tool injects the oiul in the fitting, flushing out the hardened grease.

I believe the tool is about 50 bucks. SOP for every farmer, including me.

Thats exactly the tool I was referring to...but bottom line is....Would it do any actual good??

No issue with me other than 'srong' sounds Chinese..........:)

Nothing Chinese about the Lee press. MADE IN THE USA out of train rail steel apparently.

There are Chinese RCBS presses.

I like my Lee Classic Cast Breechlock and would recommend one over the Rockchucker. For someone starting reloading I would get a Lee kit and also a Classic Cast Breechlock along with the Challenger press that comes with the kit.

I've had great performance from the Lee dies and tools I own. Every bit as good as the RCBS and Lyman I own. I prefer Forster and Redding comp dies but they are a lot more money . Hornady is the only maker that has disappointed me. Every die and tool I've bought from them has been poorly made and in the case of the camlok trimmer , poorly designed. I've had an RCBS Rockchucker and now own a CO-AX press. I've used a friends classic cast press and if for some reason I had to choose between the Rockchucker and a Classic Cast from Lee I wouldn't even think about the Rockchucker. No way in Hades I'm paying more money for no more performance and some of the RCBS presses are/were made China.

Nothing Chinese about the Lee press. MADE IN THE USA out of train rail steel apparently.

There are Chinese RCBS presses.

I like my Lee Classic Cast Breechlock and would recommend one over the Rockchucker. For someone starting reloading I would get a Lee kit and also a Classic Cast Breechlock along with the Challenger press that comes with the kit.

I don't think so (train rail steel). Thats (rail) high manganese steel and not freindly for casting purposes.......

Actually, they are all good. Far as made in USA, not many things are today. The notable exception is babies.

I ought to know, I'm in the sreel business.

For a single stage press, Forrester outshines all of them, for a price of course.

I bought my youngest son a Lee Classic Cast after comparing presses set up at Cabela's. The Hornady L&L was equally as good. The other presses did not line up as well when I peered down the die threads at the ram when the ram was raised. I can recommend either. I have a very old (1970's) USA made Rockchucker bolted to the table now but I would buy the Lee today.

Back in the day I used Lithium MP grease to lubricate the ram but changed to Mobile 1 synthetic oil (0W-20) as it does not oxidize and does not hold the primer residue as much as the grease does. Cleaning the ram regularly is an evil necessity. It is tied to the number of primers you punch. The good thing about cast iron is it retains oil. Synthetic oil is very tenacious and sticks stubbornly to the iron. It penetrates the various pins also. I believe it is not compromising the lube or the longevity of the ram.

Lee's carbide pistol sizers reach further down the case than RCBS's do. I have had chambering issues in 45 ACP that the RCBS sizer would not resolve but the Lee screwed down close to the shell holder sized the cases enough to function. All of the neck expanders can use a polishing with 800 grit to smooth them like a mirror and reduce the neck friction.

The reloading tools are constantly changing. It is no surprise that a company suffers periods of poor quality manufacturing. The real question is what do they do about it. But today the average quality is pretty darn good!

KB

I don't think so (train rail steel). Thats (rail) high manganese steel and not freindly for casting purposes.......

Actually, they are all good. Far as made in USA, not many things are today. The notable exception is babies.

I ought to know, I'm in the sreel business.

For a single stage press, Forrester outshines all of them, for a price of course.

The curved train rails are made of a higher grade alloy than the typical strait stuff. I think I was told they contain a higher amount of molybdenum, but don't quote me on that as it's been fifty years since I was told that by a steel supplier.

A further note on cast irons and cast steels. Cast iron can be extremely rigid, or can be a little flexible; depending on the grade and of course type. The better grades (more rigid) are also somewhat more expensive. There is a common grade of cast iron that is cast and reheat treated into a "pearlite state". This is what Ford used to make their third members out of because it was stronger. Yet also flexed a little bit under higher pressure loads. Mehinite (sp) is the best grade money can buy. Very rigid with a very fine grain in it. An aged chunk of it is a prized possession! Most machine frames are cast from a good grade of cast iron, but not mehinite. Over time folks have added chrome and even nickel to the alloy to give it better properties (how much and why is closely guarded). Then there is a form of cast iron known as semi steel. Machines easier and is cheaper, but not as rigid. Cast steel is much more ductile than cast iron, so it will flex under high pressures, but is also known to be stronger depending on what you add into the alloy mix. You can also add graphite to either one to make it a little more rigid, but how much of an improvement is constantly debated unless your selling it.

In a reloading press, I doubt any one here is going to achieve the pressure loads to move a good grade of cast iron that much. Still somebody will in the end!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.