help reloading bar .280

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by hammer111, May 17, 2015.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. hammer111

hammer111 Well-Known Member

I want to reload my bar .280. I understand it's a different technique than reloading for a bolt action.

But I can't find specific details, like special dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jokostel

Jokostel Well-Known Member

Small base dies are the meal ticket you need, bro... outside of that, stick to your medium speed propellants .

3. hammer111

Yeah that's what I don't know about. What's a small base die.

4. DocDoc

DocDoc Well-Known Member

From Midway RCBS Small Base 2-Die Set 280 Remington 7mm Express

RCBS, Forester, or Redding have the small base sizing die. It squeezes the base of the brass a little to make it easier to chamber. You also want to bump the shoulder back a little more than you would for a bolt gun, like 0.003 in or so.

5. hammer111

Ok doc thanks that's the tip I needed. Although do I still bump back the shoulder on brass I fired in the gun.

A few years ago I had factory ammo that wouldn't cycle. I thought it was the gun. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so it became a safe queen.

I love that gun, maybe now I can shoot it again. Will I be able to bump the shoulder back with the dies ? Thanks for the help.

6. DocDoc

DocDoc Well-Known Member

For a bolt gun it is usual to bump the shoulder 0.001 to 0.002. For an auto 0.003 plus. I don't run a high power auto, but that is my understanding. You should get the tools to measure shoulder of the brass, so you can set the appropriate bump.

7. RevJim

RevJim Well-Known Member

Hello sir, I use the RCBS 2 die Small Base Full Length dies on my BAR .270 with perfect results. I didn't even try regular Full Length dies as I am a stickler for reliability, especially in a semi-auto. I don't know why your rifle wouldn't chamber some factory ammo, but it's possible it was just that particular brand. ( I.E. Years ago I bought a friend 200 rds of 7mm STW ammo from A-Square ammunition. It wouldn't chamber and he was stuck with it.) I used 55gr of IMR 4831/139gr Hornady spire point/Remington brass in my first .280. it was a bolt gun but you find you can work up to it, its not a hot load by any means. Good luck to you Pard!

8. hammer111

Thanks Jim, that's a big help. I haven't shot the gun since. So I'm going to get some factory ammo and see what happens.

Then I'll reload it and see what happens. I don't think the gun has had 60 rounds through it since I bought it 30 years ago.