Reloading help

Cuatro

I live in El Campo Texas
I am looking for help working up two loads , one for a 6.5x284 and one 338 Laupa, both gre-tan rifles.
I want to help work up loads, and learn to be able to reload my own.
Any one know somebody who can help me that's not to far away?
Please email me at [email protected]

Cuatro,
Go to the NRA website an see if there's a CERTIFIED NRA reloading instructor giving classes in your area. Thats a good place to start. Or call the Berger Bullet Tech line phone number 714-441-7202 8am-4:30pm eastern standard time Monday thru Friday.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Cuatro,

Buy a reloading book from Hornady, speer, Nosler, Sierra. Start on page one and read the information. There is a lot of good information in these books (some better than others).

Basic reloading is not rocket science, anyone that can read and comprehend can reload.
When I compare how my father used to reload compared to the way a lot of people reload today, there is a world of difference.

just stick with the published load data for your specific bullet and you will do fine, once you get a handle on the basics, go from there.

+1 for what Sooner44 said if you cannot find an NRA Reloading Instructor. Hornady and Sierra are the best 2 IMHO. ABCs of Reloading 9th Edition sold by Sinclair International is another good "How To" reference (749-012-642 $19.99). Always start at the lowest charge and work up! If you need any help please feel free to contact us either in this string or at [email protected]
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Check out GunWerks reloading youtube vids. They explain pressure signs and show you what to look for and show you how to set up dies.

Thanks for all the help. All the comments are helpful. I just read the Hornady manual, gonna get my bench set up and start with a 243 load to try it out.

I be back with questions once i get there. Thanks

Reloading 'recipes' can be found here:
Hodgdon Reloading | Home

Do not stray from the published recipes.
Do not go under the minimum recommended powder charges.
Do not go over the maximum recommended powder charges.
Maybe after you are very comfortable with reloading you can stray some what from the published recipes but unpredictable things can and do happen.

There are three good instructional video links below.
This video has excellent information:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnrYp0NH38"]High Powered Rifle Reloading (with G. David Tubb) [Part 1/2] - YouTube[/ame]

This video is shorter:

This video is the 2nd part:

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of good advise here...........I notice nobody has warned you of the "addiction" possibility of reloading. It starts out innocent enough but rapidly evolves into an untreatable addiction which will result more than a few "high brow" looks from you better half due to the expenditures on equipment. :)

I started reloading at the same time as my father around 1967 (crap I'm gettin old) and neither one of us knew much about it. Read what we could get our hands on and never had any issues. Hornady bullets, H-4831 powder and CCI primers was what we had for 3 rifles we loaded for. Certainly wasn't the exact science it is today but we killed a lot of critters.

Good luck and have fun!

Pm me ill give you my phone number, i live just outside of needville and travel to r&m guns for powder pretty regularly

Thanks, been busy, got a little more to complete my reloading room.
My cell is 979-541-7248
Look forward to talking to you

Cuatro Strack

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.