Help with reloading

Taternater

I have a rem .308 and with the impending raise in ammo cost I have decided to get a reloader. I have found a RCBS Turret Deluxe Reloading Kit it has an RCBS Turret Press, Uniflow Powder Measure, Model 5-0-2 Reloading Scale, Case Lube Kit, Deburring Tool, Case Loading Block, Primer Tray, Powder Funnel, Fold-Up Hex Key Wrench Set, and Speer Reloading Manual No. 1.
So my question is, I know I need other things, but what?

dies for your 308 , a shell holder for the 308 ,primer pocket brush , brass trimmer , and a good caliper to measure with . I think this will be all the basics and enough to get you started .

I have a rem .308 and with the impending raise in ammo cost I have decided to get a reloader. I have found a RCBS Turret Deluxe Reloading Kit it has an RCBS Turret Press, Uniflow Powder Measure, Model 5-0-2 Reloading Scale, Case Lube Kit, Deburring Tool, Case Loading Block, Primer Tray, Powder Funnel, Fold-Up Hex Key Wrench Set, and Speer Reloading Manual No. 1.
So my question is, I know I need other things, but what?

The data in Speer Reloader Manual #1 is too old to be useful with currently produced powders. None of the newer powders will be listed, many of the powders listed in that manual have been discontinued, and recommendations on powders still available have often been changed over the years. The current Speer Manual is #14. Get one of these, and maybe give that #1 to an old book collector.
A primer pocket uniformer (from Sinclair) is a tool I never do without, and can be used instead of the primer pocket brush.

Ok, well I've been on the web and I think I have the list of things I need. anyone feel free to correct me or and imput.
RCBS Turret Deluxe Reloading Kit as mentioned before
RCBS .308 shell holder
Electronic caliper
RCBS .308 die sets
RCBS primer pocket brush
then hers the proble I ran into, I dont know which trimer to get, an RCBS trim pro case trimmer but are there certian things I need for this to make sure the length is right.
also do I need something to prime with?

Unless you are committed to the RCBS turret press, the RockChucker Supreme kit may be a better value. It has the 505 scale and a hand priming tool, and costs considerably less. Current RCBS kits are being supplied with Speer Manual #14.

Last edited:
A newer book and read it several times. That is the best advice you can get!

Unless you don't feel comfortable reading a dial caliper the digital one is a waste of money. any $30 caliper will work fine. You may want to get a simple Lee auto priming tool. They are inexpensive and one of the best on the market. Also a simple case trimmer to start with by Lee. Lee tools seem to work fine, they are a little clumbsy at times and some of the newest cases are not available w/ lee, but they are a good starting point.

"One shot" or "Lyman case spray lube" are much quicker, easior, better prodoct for lubing cases too.

Good luck.

The kit you are looking at has a primer tool on it. If you look closely you will see a long thin rod sticking out from the press. This is were you put your primers. If I am not mistaken, with the case in the proper turret position, you pull down on the handle to seat the bullet, pull the handle back up, and give a slight push forward to seat the primer in the case.

I highly recommend the Wilson case trimmer and case holders. For cases like 308 that have relatively little body taper, they have separate case holders for fired or unfired cases. Some users have reported being able to use the fired holder for both. For most cartridges, there is only one holder for both fired and unfired cartridges. Simple, robust, very accurate, easy to use, and inexpensive.

Sinclair sells a micrometer adjustment for it that is really nice, but not necessary.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.