help reloading bar .280

hammer111

I want to reload my bar .280. I understand it's a different technique than reloading for a bolt action.

But I can't find specific details, like special dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I want to reload my bar .280. I understand it's a different technique than reloading for a bolt action.

But I can't find specific details, like special dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Small base dies are the meal ticket you need, bro... outside of that, stick to your medium speed propellants .

Ok doc thanks that's the tip I needed. Although do I still bump back the shoulder on brass I fired in the gun.

A few years ago I had factory ammo that wouldn't cycle. I thought it was the gun. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so it became a safe queen.

I love that gun, maybe now I can shoot it again. Will I be able to bump the shoulder back with the dies ? Thanks for the help.

For a bolt gun it is usual to bump the shoulder 0.001 to 0.002. For an auto 0.003 plus. I don't run a high power auto, but that is my understanding. You should get the tools to measure shoulder of the brass, so you can set the appropriate bump.

Hello sir, I use the RCBS 2 die Small Base Full Length dies on my BAR .270 with perfect results. I didn't even try regular Full Length dies as I am a stickler for reliability, especially in a semi-auto. I don't know why your rifle wouldn't chamber some factory ammo, but it's possible it was just that particular brand. ( I.E. Years ago I bought a friend 200 rds of 7mm STW ammo from A-Square ammunition. It wouldn't chamber and he was stuck with it.) I used 55gr of IMR 4831/139gr Hornady spire point/Remington brass in my first .280. it was a bolt gun but you find you can work up to it, its not a hot load by any means. Good luck to you Pard!

Thanks Jim, that's a big help. I haven't shot the gun since. So I'm going to get some factory ammo and see what happens.

Then I'll reload it and see what happens. I don't think the gun has had 60 rounds through it since I bought it 30 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.