Reloading first time

Right now primers are "gold", if you can find them. But I agree on the best first place to start is a good manual. I have a ton of them, and yes read the first couple of chapter FIRST. Ther are some good books outh there that are just about reloading. Lyman is one, but most bullet/powder manuals have the 'hows ans whys" in the first couple chapters. Also see if you have a good rifle/pistol club locally. There will be people there that are into all types of shooting from benchrest, long range and hunting that can be a wealth of information. Never hurts to have a good mentor. This is also a good place place to pick up some good used equipment and componets.
Start with the basics that other have listed. As time goes on you will end up with more "gagets" than you know what to do with.
PS - I borrow an annealing machine from one of my friends, but if push comes to shove the old hand drill and socket still works.

Last edited:
I tried reading all the other posts so I did not duplicate one, lots of good tactical suggestions. I would suggest assuming your budget is not limitless you need to determine the constraints. Unlimited budget is fast reloading as low as .25 MOA if everything else is up to it. A lot of the difference between the cheaper and more expensive equipment plus all the bells and whistles has to do with speed and accuracy. If you want the ultimate in accuracy just make sure you, your gun, your bench setup, your chrono and your budget for reloading supplies is up to it as the reloading equipment wont' fix those things (though some of the equipment suggested does allow you to improve results with less expensive bullets and brass).

To draw the extreme, if you were interested in cheap ammo at low volume I think Lee still makes a thing called the Lee Loader. I am not suggesting this just using it as an example of how simple it can be if you are not prioritizing accuracy and speed.

Buy once, cry once is a great philosophy but not always practical when starting from scratch. I've been reloading for over 30 years, part of what I like about it is I am always learning somethign new. Even if you buy the best today, tomorrow something will be better.

Sorry that my post is more philosophical than practical but I thought it might be worth pointing out. Likely a sign of my age :)

JB

RULES: While reloading.

1) NO tv, NO radio, NO distractions (could save your life)
2) ONLY ONE can of powder on the bench at a time. (Make sure it is the one for the load you are using)
3) Get a routine for loading and always follow it.

These may sound obvious and routine, but the internet is full of the results of NOT following them.
I have used these rules since I started reloading in the mid-60s and have never had an incedent.

Good luck, have fun

Dave
Lock the door and leave the cell phone in the house.

The basic tennet of "buy once cry once" definitely holds true for reloading, particularly if you're reloading for accuracy. At the most basic, you'll need:

Press, something like an RCBS Rock Chucker is reliable and won't need upgrading.

Powder throw: almost any will do

Beam scale: RCBS 5-0-5 is a personal favorite

Dies: full length sizing is easiest to start with. I like Redding but everyone has brand preference

Manuals: buy a few, read them

Priming Tool: personal preference is for the Frankfort Arsenal hand priming tool

Cleaning device: I like wet tumbling with steel pins, this is very arguable though, everyone has something that works for them. Frankfort Arsenal work for me here as well.

Annealing device: a hand torch and Tempilaque is a great start, I use an annealeaz personally but an Annealing Made Perfect device would be better

Calipers: the best you can afford but any will get you started

Shell Holders: Any

Lubricant: I like Imperial Sizing Wax. Many good options here, I know lots of people use a lanolin/alcohol mix that you can spray on.

Case trimmer: Many good options. I use an L.E. Wilson trimmer

Case chamfer tool: Any VLD chamfer tool will work. Helps the bullet seat into the case mouth without catching on the rim

Powder trickler: dispenses powder slowly to help you get the exact amount you want
+1 can't go wrong with Redding or L.E. Wilson.

eBay is my favorite shopping site. Not for everything, but I save big $ on expensive items others have grown tired of or upgraded from. Selected items I get new simply due to what I feel works best for my process.
Might have missed it, but make sure you set up a reloading log. Buy one or make one,. whatever works for you. I have all mine in Word and/or Excel documents saved in my log book. I track EVERYTHING about EVERY round I have ever reload I have done.
I also have printed checklist and I check off every step as I go to make sure it is safe load.
And ave fun!

All of the above is an idea of what you'll need : Its the $$$$$$ in the various brands you looking at. Been at it over some 55 + years learned from a super benchrest shooter and his buddies get the best one can afford and cry once. Between rifle/pistol & shotgun reloading have some 19 machines / presses.
Need to ask yourself a few questions ! am I going to be doing some wildcats, swagging , benchrest , F-class , re-forming brass , just rifle or pistol and or shotgun and clays ? This well narrow down your picks on machines / presses . Just hunting / plinking or also comp shooting with rifle / pistols / clays.
Starting off would suggest if the $$$ are there either a RCBS Summit , Redding T-7 , if wanting to go to the bigger boys 338 Lapua mag 416's a Redding Ultramag press. Sold all my 50BMG goodies went to the Lapua. Costs just got tooo high for the 50's.
Shooting the shotguns and doing clays that's another ball game. Its like fly fishing .
Good luck , go around to all the shops and talk or try out different makes and models . Dies thats the $$ question depending on the shooting / reloading one will be doing. Love the newer bushing dies don't work brass as hard and longer case life. If going into heavy shooting think about an annealing machine.
Well enough said that's my 3 cents worth- ask questions before you spend the $$$$$ its easy to spend others $$$.

You've received a lot of good advice above, but one thing no one has mentioned is most important:

plan on setting aside a room for loading only.

You need to have a place where you can concentrate on loading only and where you can organize all the components without someone else picking up something just for a second (and not returning it). You need to have things on shelves, or in drawers where you can find them. And if you have little fingers in the house, you need to keep them from "helping" you when you're not supervising them.

One final thought: lots of us started with RCBS presses and dies. They did us well, and they still do well. I would you encourage you to look on eBay and at local estate sales for used sets. Much of this equipment ages well.

1. Stay away from the Lee presses especially the aluminum one. You will have significant problems getting consistency out of the aluminum presses.

2. Get a kit, while you will inevitably end up replacing one or two peices, the overall savings will be more.

RCBS, Redding, Lyman. (Lee does make ok dies)

I started loading in April 1963 with a lee loader (the hammer loader). I still have them all and they are still usable.

My first press was a brand new RCBS Jr, cast iron and heavy. I added another a few years later. About 1968 was my first Rock Chucker. Cast Iron and even heavier. I bought my SIL a Rock Chucker a few years ago thanks to a good internet friend in the Dallas Area. These days Ebay can be your friend as long as you scrutinize before making a purchase. Most all my dies are RCBS. I have an Ohaus scale, plus a few powder dispensers. I used to have 2 Ohaus scales but gave one away to a guy in Maryland that needed it more than I did.

I load for all the shotguns except for 28 ga. and a multitude of rifle calibers (22 Hornet up to 460 Wby) and maybe 6 handgun calibers. Most of my experience has been to add something along the way as I need it. Over the course of almost 60 years of reloading that "added as needed" thingy has put quite dent in storage space, but I ain't complaining in the least. Time has been good to me. I also got into casting bullets around 1969 and haven't looked back but maybe a cpuple of times, just to be honest about it.

Good luck in your quest, and may you times at the bench be pleasurable. Above all, be safe and pay attention always.

Well....deep subject I know. You gotten a lot of good advice on your post. I've been reloading since the very early 70's and started with a little single cartridge hand die you had to tap the bullet in the case with a plastic mallet and a single primer tool you placed one primer in at a time with a powder dipper set with a sliding scale that told you what dippers to use. Yes it was caveman style but, it got me by loading for my 30-06 back in the day. Later on I purchased a kit from Lee that had all the basic stuff to reload. Then I got extremely lucky when my 1st cousin was dating a divorcee who's ex was apparently getting in the reloading business but left everything when he left his wife. I bought a cardboard box full of RCBS reloading equipment for $75 sight unseen. Rockchucker, 2 powder throwers, 2 scales, 2 dial calipers, 2 priming tools 2 sets of shell hoders, 2 powder trcklers,1 case trimmer,and an assortment of dies. I'm probably leaving something out and don't have any idea why he had 2 of everything. You might get lucky and find what you need from a mad, bitter divorcee. But whatever direction you go I would suggest finding an experienced reloader that would be willing to spend some time with you and walk you through the steps hands on. I had that help and passed it on to others just getting started. Just remember safety first and have fun!

I would like to start reloading did some research need recommendations. Will start with 270
6.5 Creedmoor.
What equipment will I need and what is the most reliable brand.
Get the book The ABCs if Reloading by Phillip Massaro or one of the Late Glen Zideker's books on reloading.
Those will take you thru all the steps and have equipment recommendations. There are numerous companies that make quality equipment: Forster, Redding, RCBS and Hornady to name a few. IMHO case preparation is very important. Careful, complete press preparation avoids many problems. Get a good quality set of calipers and micrometer.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum and accurateshooter.com. There are probably others. There are also good manuals available from bullet makers. Also ammoguide.com is a good source for load data.

Be careful. It became an addiction for me (LOL). You will be pleasantly surprised at the improvement in accuracy.

Thats a....Loaded question... buahahaha! Buy once cry once. My lesser quality equipment keeps me away from my bench, and my higher quality stuff brings me to it.

You need a powder measuring device, I like my rcbs lite charge master. Pm me for the reducing insert to get.

A press, I like my forster coax. It makes accurate ammo and swapping in and out dies is quick, painless, and accurate.

Buy the best dies you can afford. Call me gucci, but I wont buy a seating die if it doesnt have a micrometer top. I like forster and redding dies. Get a "redding type s" full length sizing die and a micrometer seating die from either manufacturer. You will need redding bushings to go with them and need to get your brass before you know what size to get.

Mandrels are important. I went with century 21. They make one with a window that is cut out so you can see where your brass is in the die. I got the black ones and they work great. Im sure the steel ones work great too.

Buy the best brass you can find. ie lapua(best) or adg, peterson, alpha,.... Search for threads here on best brass manufacturer and go with something that has a lot of votes. That way your not fighting your brass trying to get accuracy.

Get a good micrometer caliper or two. Digital is easier starting out. I had my hornady calipers die on me for no good reason and I splurged for the mizuho's and never looked back. Worth it between the two imo.

Hornady case and bullet measuring tools- hornady oal gauge and headspace tool. Both look similar but are different and essential. They go on the comparator.

Brass trimmers...oh brass prep....how I loathe thee....! I went gucci on that one eventually and just got a henderson. 200 pieces of brass perfectly trimmed, chamfered, and deburred in 30 minutes, instead of 3 days. And no blisters. Follow your heart on that one!

Get at least 2 50 slot loading blocks. You can get higher capacity ones, but 50 seems to be a good amount. I like the mjm ones on amazon. They are rectangular and in in straight rows, each row is numbered for convenience, and one will accomodate multiple case head types. Also get somewhere to put your loaded ammo. Ammo holders of some sort. I got mjm ones also.

Case lube of your choice. I started with Hornady one shot but make my own now from a lanolin and alcohol mixture. Look up lanolin case lube video by ultimate reloader on youtube. Buy the stuff on amazon with your other amazon items. Super easy. Very effective, not stinky chemicals.

Brass cleaning. Minimum is a dry tumbler. Hard to go wrong with most of them. I dry tumble and wet tumble. The big wet fart is a great option. Look it up and it will make sense. Wet Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler.

Primer decapper. Lots of options. I do the Lee die. My brother does the frankford arsenal hand thing. He likes his. My wrists arent good so I prefer to use the leverage of my coax press.

Bullet puller. The hammer type. They're all the same and very effective. I got an rcbs one with a felt pad in the bottom so it doesn't ruin your bullet.

Powder funnel. You can use the cheapo plastic rcbs powder funnel and be fine. It sits on my powder thrower like a decoration because I use the area 419 set that has multiple caliber adaptors. *excellent* And it will save you from dumping powder all over the place on accident. Saves money if you plan on loading for more than 3 different calibers.

Priming tool. Lots of options. I went with the rcbs bench mounted tool. Works great. You will need to get the case holder to go with that for each specific cartridge.

Reloading manual. I'd get two different ones to reference against each other, they dont always agree.

Theres probably some stuff I forgot that you will find out along the way, but that should get you loading sub half moa ammo with good reloading technique, good components, and a good gun. Thats how I do it anyway

Recent Posts