Reloading first time

michaelfelix13

I would like to start reloading did some research need recommendations. Will start with 270
6.5 Creedmoor.
What equipment will I need and what is the most reliable brand.

Can Of Worms Meme GIF by Hyper RPG

The basic tennet of "buy once cry once" definitely holds true for reloading, particularly if you're reloading for accuracy. At the most basic, you'll need:

Press, something like an RCBS Rock Chucker is reliable and won't need upgrading.

Powder throw: almost any will do

Beam scale: RCBS 5-0-5 is a personal favorite

Dies: full length sizing is easiest to start with. I like Redding but everyone has brand preference

Manuals: buy a few, read them

Priming Tool: personal preference is for the Frankfort Arsenal hand priming tool

Cleaning device: I like wet tumbling with steel pins, this is very arguable though, everyone has something that works for them. Frankfort Arsenal work for me here as well.

Annealing device: a hand torch and Tempilaque is a great start, I use an annealeaz personally but an Annealing Made Perfect device would be better

Calipers: the best you can afford but any will get you started

Shell Holders: Any

Lubricant: I like Imperial Sizing Wax. Many good options here, I know lots of people use a lanolin/alcohol mix that you can spray on.

Case trimmer: Many good options. I use an L.E. Wilson trimmer

Case chamfer tool: Any VLD chamfer tool will work. Helps the bullet seat into the case mouth without catching on the rim

Powder trickler: dispenses powder slowly to help you get the exact amount you want

Last edited:
This is very much just my approach and is by no means universal but my order of operations is:

1. Deprime on press with universal depriming die.
2. Wet tumble with stainless steel media, a couple squirts of dish detergent, and 1/4 tsp citric acid powder (removes copper oxides from brass)
3. Anneal neck/shoulder
4. Lubricate brass
5. Size brass (die set to .003" shoulder bump). There's tons of ways to do this. Some rifles I use a body die + Lee collet die to size the body and neck separately, some just get run through a full length sizing die, some get run through a shoulder bump neck bushing die then expanded using a mandrel to set tension. I'm sure there's more ways to do it as well.
6. Wash brass to remove lubricant
7. Trim any over-length brass to SAAMI max length.
8. Chamfer inside of case mouth
9. Prime brass
10. Lubricate case mouth with graphite dry lube.
11. Throw powder charge -1gr from dispenser
12. Weigh on beam scale and trickle until desired weight is achieved, sometimes I have to use tweezers to add or remove a few granules of powder
13. Seat bullets a few thousandths long
14. Measure CBTO
15. Adjust micrometer seating die to seat bullet to desired CBTO (accounts for variation in ogive between bullets)

BillNye pretty well covered it. When you get the reloading manuals, read the front section. Most tend to skip this and they miss a lot of good information. There are good starter sets out there from RCBS, Hornady and Lyman that have all of your basics to get started. You will add other things as you gain experience. Good luck and be safe.

Thank you guys
Should I purchase a kit or individual items. Please see below

REBEL PLUS RELOADING KIT
4.9 out of 5 Customer Rating
4.7 star rating3 Reviews

$588.99
Depends on how much money you're willing to spend. What is your budget? If you just want to get your feet wet with quality equipment, that Rebel Plus looks like a good one. BTW: That kit is selling for $451.99 on Amazon through the RCBS store right now.

Last edited:
I made some lists about two years ago for recommendations on items to get started. Not sure about current availability, price, or if all the links still work but the products should still remain the same at least.

I put together a few different lists of reloading items to essentially form a kit of my own creation for those wanting to get into reloading. I made a "basic", "intermediate", and an "advanced" list, along with links and prices and totals.

These aren't all inclusive lists, as far as I'm not saying the exact items I've picked are exactly what you should go with. You could obviously pick something else that's similar.

My goal was to pick quality items that will produce quality ammo and not be overpriced, and to provide an alternative to all the premade kits out there that tend to be full of items you'll never use or will want to upgrade immediately, or are lacking many other essential items. These are lists intended to get you started. You can upgrade certain pieces of equipment and tools later as you get going down the rabbit hole.

In an effort to reduce the size of this post, I'll post each list in a separate post. Hopefully this proves useful.

••Basic Kit

•Calipers: $41

Amazon product ASIN B00INL0BTS
•Comparator set: $34

•Press: $81

•Lee Auto Prime: $22

•Scale: $30

Amazon product ASIN B00ESHDGOI
•Powder funnel: $3

•Die Set: $34

•Bullet puller: $17

•Lee case conditioning kit: $10

•Lee case length gauge: $5

•Case lube: $10

•Reloading trays: $8

Total: $290

Intermediate Kit

Calipers: $40

Comparator set: $33

Press: $77

Priming system: $29

Shell holders for priming system: $20

Scale: $24

Amazon product ASIN B00ESHDGOI

Powder funnel: $3

Seating die: $90

Sizing die: $20

Mandrels: $20

Mandrel body: $33

Bullet puller: $20

Collets for bullet puller: $12

Case cleaner setup: $93

Case prep tool: $27

Case trimmer set: $32

Lube for mandrel: $18

Case lube: $10

Reloading trays: $8

Total: $609

Semi Advanced Kit

Lee Auto Prime: $22

Die Set: $31

Bullet puller: $17

Case prep station: $170

Electronic powder dispenser: $200

Total: $613

Add case tumbler setup: +$90 ($703 total)

And finally:

Advanced Kit (still low cost)

Lee Auto Prime: $22

Die Set: $20

Mandrels: $20

Mandrel body: $33

Seating die: $90

Bullet puller: $17

Case prep station: $170

Electronic powder dispenser: $200

Total: $748

Add case tumbler kit: +$90 (total: $838)

Again, pick from this lists as you wish, mix and match, completely disregard them if you choose, or whatever. There are definitely plenty of other options out there that would be as good or better than what I picked, these were just the most decent quality and affordable options I found at the time.