Reloading calipers?

I have a Hornady digital caliper and an Igaging. They both work, but the Hornady will sometimes forget the zero. And I have to re-zero it with the comparator body or anvil. Sometimes I don't immediately notice it's done this.
That could be problematic if you didn't catch it during set up. A good reminder to check things multiple times throughout your reloading process.

I nearly always check zero on calipers, dial or digital, before every measurement. If they have left my hand, zero gets checked before the next measurement. I was trained to do that and it has become habit, one that I think is a good one to have.

Read on for a bit of a bio, maybe it adds context to my posts:

I'm not a Journeyman Machinist, I don't have the depth of training for that as that properly is years of apprenticeship. I did work as the "special projects" machinist/fabricator in a racing engines machine shop and under a retired Tool & Die machinist in a Vintage Racing & Touring car restoration/preparation shop during my undergrad years and for both on occasion since earning my Engineering degree. I think that I was about 7 or 8 when I made my first metal lathe project. That was more than a few decades ago.

Mitutoyo would be the best in my opinion. But what do I use? I use a set of $18 digital calipers from Harbor Freight. My Dad uses the same set and has had his for 3-4 years and they work fine to this day. Mine are very repeatable and I don't think you can go wrong for the price. I use Mitutoyo calipers when I'm machining, but the Harbor Freight ones work great for just measuring trim length, CBTO, and headspace on the shoulder.

That's right Jud96.
So given reloading bench measurement costs, the money needs to go where higher precision than calipers is actually needed. For me that's been Indicators & ball & blade mics & setup jigs for them.

I have a Hornady digital caliper and an Igaging. They both work, but the Hornady will sometimes forget the zero. And I have to re-zero it with the comparator body or anvil. Sometimes I don't immediately notice it's done this.
I have to say, my Spi never has to be zeroed.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.