New Calipers.

My oldest, but still works well. Just my eyes that don't work so well with it. Most of mine now are Mitutoyo dials (1@4", 2@6", 1@12"). None have ever gone bad, so I see no point in going to digital.
Best of luck with your new Mitutoyos. They should last a lifetime. Some of mine are over 60 years old. Only 1 has needed recalibrating.
IMG_5292.jpeg

For me the biggest advantage of electronic calipers over a dial caliper are the easy Metric conversions. This a function that I use daily.

When working with a digital caliper I use that fourth decimal place as an indicator of which direction the round-off error is trending, the number in that place is otherwise meaningless.

When it comes to calipers know that the ID jaws are lying to you. The smaller the hole you're trying to measure, the more they're lying. This has nothing to do with technique, it is a limitation of the jaw geometry. If you need to know what size the hole really is, get some pin gauges. Calipers are in the horse-shoes and hand-grenades range.

I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker kit in 1980. I got the plastic RCBS dial caliper that read to hundreths, not thousandths. I upgraded a couple of years later to a stainless dial caliper from Dillon that read to 1/1000ths and thought I was in high cotton. I dropped that Dillon caliper on the floor a few months later. The dial spun almost 180 degrees, but it still measured accurately. A friend loaned me his Starrett caliper when he moved and did not have a reloading area. He finally asked for me to give it up last year. I guess this post came at a good time for me.

Just received another Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Caliper from the USP delivery. The pups went nuts on the truck because the driver always gives them treats. I figured it was a good deal for $107.00. Now we have Mitutoyo digital calipers at all our workstations for GS. reloading, Engraving and in the garage for working on auto and tractors.

Attachments

• Mitutoyo Caliper.jpg
    Mitutoyo Caliper.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Mitutoyo New.jpg
    Mitutoyo New.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Well I guess I can say that I got a pretty good caliper. Hope I won't need a new set for awhile. My old RCBS 15 years old just kept drifting and added frustration getting exact CBTO with my loads. So Amazon to the rescue.

Hope I can trust these with their accuracy. These things feel like Uber quality. Wowzers
I'm a machinist and use these every day. You can't beat quality tools.

Recent Posts