digital calipers

I have several old fashioned Vernier Calipers that are 60 years old and still work perfectly. Used carefully, they are accurate to a half thou. But they easily achieve 1 thou which is more than enough for anything you would use a caliper for.

I use digital calipers all the time, but only really good ones like the Starrett and Mitutoyo. In particular I like the 6" Mitutoyo 500-196-30 AOS Absolute Digimatic Caliper. It's only fault is that it doesn't shut off automatically if you leave it on by mistake. I keep a supply of the button batteries it uses on hand.

However, I have learned the hard way that digital anything (Powder scales, Micrometers, Indicators, etc.) can lie. It's the nature of digital electronics to give false readings from time to time and to stop working properly. If I am ever in doubt, I always grab the Verniers (Both of mine are Mitutoyo Verniers) because they NEVER Lie!

Once you get used to them Verniers are pretty fast too, but they cannot ever beat the speed of digital calipers.

Therefore, I have and use both. Digitals for speed and convenience, Verniers and old fashioned spindle micrometers for reliabity on mission critical measurements.

I've been very trusting to a digital caliper called an UltraTech by General. it is very accurate long battery life too. Anytime I check it against my feeler gauges its spot on no kidding. I think i paid $60 for it.

Mitutoyo 500-196-30. You can generally get them for around $100-120. Battery life doesn't suck like with the cheap Chinese crap. I've literally left mine on for weeks at a time and changed the battery once in 7yrs.

I've had my verniers since 89 and I can check your digital for you today if you want

Mitutoyo dominates when it comes to calipers. I don't see any reason to choose another brand. You can find great a prices if you look around.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.