Reloader 33 in 300 RUM Data ?

clambdin

Anybody running RL33 in the 300 RUM with 210 bergers or 200gr accubonds....I called Alliant today and they say that they havent tested RL33 in the 300ultra yet which I find strange since it is so well suited for that round ?

clambdin

I've got 8 pounds showing up on the doorstep on Thursday. Though I have some good loads in my 338 RUM using Magnum, I'm curious like many to see what it will do. I may also throw it in my 300 RUM and the 7mm WSM for good measure. I'll let people know how it does. QuickLoad is indicating that it will be worth doing.

chambdin

No problem. But I need to know a few things to give you a more customized answer.

1. What is your barrel length?
2. It the barrel made of stainless or chrome moly?
3. How many grains of water fit in one of your fireformed cases?

210 berger and 200gr accubond
Stainless 26 barrel
COAL 3.7
Case capacity dont know

clambdin

With the 200 gr AB, RL-33 is a nice load in the 300 RUM as it fills the case (103.2 grains) just as pressure is getting to 63,000 psi. RL-33 and N570 are right on the top of the list as far as velocity goes. RL-33 will add velocity with respect to most other powders as follows:

H1000 + 110fps
RL-25 + 87 fps
Magnum + 80 fps
Retumbo + 43 fps

In your rifle you will likely want to back it down to about 101.8 grains to hit an accuracy node at a barrel time of 1.307 milliseconds.

With the 210 Berger it gets even better, looks like 102.5 grains of RL-33 with just get you to the accuracy node mentioned above at a pressure around 63,895 psi. Depending on the actual burn rate you get with your setup you may or may not be able to get there but if you can it should be sweet. Velocity advantages over the powders mentioned above are very close to the same except the advantage over Retumbo grows to 63 fps.

Of course all of this assumes a nominal burn rate and that is one thing you pretty much never get so you will want to work up to these levels to avoid any unpleasant surprises. Also, use Nosler and Berger data to start. Interestingly Berger shows velocities that appear very low and Nosler's appear pretty fast. I don't mention specific velocities as it all depends on your setup just like it did for them.:)

Great info ! I cant wait to try it ! I am running the 200AB now at 3100fps with retumbo...but velocity swings are the norm hoping the RL33 will get the ES down...Thanks !

Chose the 230 berger target and RL-33. OAL fits and feeds from Wyatt's mag box in push feed model 70. Worked up to 102 gr but backed down to 100 gr for accuracy load. Vel 2975 from 24" barrel.

I'd watch your top charges a bit. 95 grains rl33 is top charge right now for my 300 rum with the 225 hornady and a 215 in rp brass. It seems rl33 is no different than some of the other powders in that it will take quite a bit different top charge on the heavies depending on their construction.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.