Reline a .22 LR barrel

dsculley

I have a Savage 1906 that was shot out long before my dad got it years ago. I want to bring it back to life with a barrel liner. I have only a drill press available, not a lathe. Since I will be using a piloted bit, it seems to me that the bit should follow the original bore. If I go slow and keep the millings cleaned out of the barrel is this something that I should be able do to, or should I send this out to a gunsmith?

Once I get the new liner glued in, I will take it to a smith to have it chambered.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the advice,

DON"T DO IT
Unless it is a gunsmith you are very familiar with and he is advising you ahead of time and willing to work with your work. Which doesn't appear to be as your on this forum. Nothing a gunsmith dislikes more than job started by someone else, and expected to finish it/ fix it. No way we can stand behind work when we didn't do it all. Either do it all yourself which you can lining 22lr isn't hard can be done with drill and hand reamer if you know what your doing.

old shop prices chart:
standard rate 50
you watch 75
you help 100
you fxxx'd with it first 150
double "you Fxxx'd with" for broken drills

Thanks for the reply. I will check into the reamer. I have seen that some say you can chamber at .22 with a drill bit, but I would prefer a piloted reamer if I am going to attempt it.

Not really trying to save any money, just that I like projects like this and am not mechanically inept.

I have a local smith that I have used in the past, but have not used him in a long time. I referred my boss to him to have a new AR barrel threaded for a suppressor. This smith totally screwed it up. The suppressor sat at an angle to the bore and he thought it was ok. This was a special order barrel and was tuned for the suppressor, cutting the crown back and re-threading would mess up the tuning. He was supposed to replace the barrel but never did.

I found a smith in a nearby town that I may let do this. I called him yesterday but he is out of town for the rest of the week. Will pursue this with him next week.

By the way, which .22 liner do you think will give the best results?

Again, thank you.

Drill out the old rifling with a 8mm piloted bit. No reamer required. You want the 'rougher' surface that the drill bit will leave to help with the mechanical lock you want when using epoxy to secure the liner. Redman makes good liners. Get one longer than your barrel and use a 1-16 twist. Ain't nothing worse than fixing a customer induced screw-up because he tried to 'smith it himself!

I really do understand the comments about fixing customers mistakes. I work for a company that works on boats - 16' outboards to 100' Motor Yachts. We have to go behind the owner or captain quite often.

This appears to me to be one of those jobs that if I do something wrong, as long as I don't damage the barrel I can start over with a new liner.

The reamer is to cut the new chamber.

Again, thank you.

I really do understand the comments about fixing customers mistakes. I work for a company that works on boats - 16' outboards to 100' Motor Yachts. We have to go behind the owner or captain quite often.

This appears to me to be one of those jobs that if I do something wrong, as long as I don't damage the barrel I can start over with a new liner.

The reamer is to cut the new chamber.

Again, thank you.

Your major concern will be damaging the tooling. Just because everything went 'right' for Larry doesn't mean there aren't any pitfalls ahead. U-Tube is real good at making everything look 'easy'. They don't show the previous half dozen foul-ups before they got a 'good one'. I'd strongly suggest a 8mm hole for the liner verses the 5/16" Larry used. The liner needs to fit without bind and have room for the adhesive, be that adhesive epoxy or solder. I'm not real hot on Loc-Tite for this application, either. Larry used a aircraft drill for his 'long' tool. A short piloted drill can have an extension added if you're handy enough. What's left of the rifled hole is many of these old rifles wanders a great deal so the 8mm hole is your best bet for a slip fit of the liner. A piloted drill will help you stay on track. Piloted drills are available from Brownells, not that I like Brownells anymore than I like Midway. Both have turned into 'WalMart'.

Thanks for the caveats Shortgrass. The gunsmith that I am considering will be out of town for another week so I have some time. Well, I actually have lots of time. This rebuild is for my grandson when he turns 6. He is 2 now! I am in no rush, but would like to complete the project and have some time to "prove" the rifle.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.