Proof barrel in Rem 700 LR stock

Burley

I have a Remington 700LR stock. Shoots like junk. Been debating on upgrading to a Proof Reaserch barrel. However, I would like to keep my stock but I know the barrel will not fit. My question is it worth trying to modify my stock to accept that different barrel? I am set on using the proof barrel so either I modify what I have or get a new McMillan stock. I'd rather save money if possible and put it towards a 6.5cm but I'd rather just make sure I make the right decision and do this all correct. Even if I have to buy the McMillan stock.

Burley,

I have a Remington 700LR stock. Shoots like junk.

Stocks don't shoot like junk without a barreled action involved...:D

Is the original barreled action properly bedded in the B&C stock or are you shooting it bare as it came from the factory?

In most cases, accuracy can be improved by having a B&C stock properly bedded by your gunsmith.

Now, if you just want to replace the barrel in order to run the 6.5 Creedmoor, I suggest calling the folks at Proof to see what they recommend to replace your factory contour. These are very competent people who will give you the answer to your question. They have three basic contours two of which are close to the Sendero factory style barrel. Here are the dimensions and drawings for those barrels:

Barrel Length - Proof Research

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.