ar15 barrel in 6mm or 22 grendel

ajhardle

It's time for a new barrel. I was looking for the perfect 6mm chamber ( light recoil and long barrel ) for my Savage when i came to the conclusion that the 6mm grendel was the right size, so why not modify the AR.

Before you ask why 6mm, not 6.5 grendel, let me explain. Most grendels shoot something like a 123 gr with a g7b.c. ~.26. People say anything with a higher b.c. takes away from case capacity. A 6mm in the 105 range is going to have a higher b.c. and the Berger 95vld is short enough to avoid the doughnut, while being light enough, the extra velocity should make up for the reduced b.c. at 600 yards.

Well if a 105 going 2700 is to going be better than the 6.5 123 at 2600fps, maybe a Berger .224 90vld with a similar b.c. going faster will be even better. Same length as the other bullets.

Questions: 1. Has anyone used these calibers?

2. What velocities can be expected?

3. And can I give a gunsmith a dummy round at mag length to make a throat that will allow the bullet to seat at the lands, with the hope that near max length is right at the lands?

Short answer is yes yes and yes....Most call it a 6ar because of the grendel trademark.

go to 6mmar.com

excellent performer for the reasons you stated and more.

set up a dummy round and send it to PTG and they will make you a reamer.

Happy new year

Mike

back in the 1970's the Army played around with a 5.56 necked up to 6mm using an 85 grain bullet. They said they were getting close to 2900 fps. The bullets used in the testing were all from Hornaday (just generic hunting bullets). They were said to have 7.62x51 ballistics from an M16. Carter killed the project when he became President. The project looked like a winner all the way around, and had quite a bit more power than the standard 5.56 using 53 grain bullets. The main goal was to be able to bust thru the magazine chest pack that folks using an AK 47 had. From what I hear it would do it at 250 yards.
gary

Lothar Walther brought in a .22 Grendel reamer at my request two years ago and made me an AR barrel that they also nitrided for me. So, they have a reamer. I've not shot it yet. I like LW barrels a lot, especially their polygonal rifled ones.