Reduced Recoil Loads

Tiny Tim

I have a Savage 110 in 300WM that I purchased several years ago. In the process of finishing out the barrel while I wait for its replacement. I have 60 rounds of once fired Hornaday Reuced recoil loads that were fired prior to me receiving the rifle.

As I was depriming the brass, I was surprised at how flat the primers were and they even "mushroomed" at the top. In my ignorance, I assumed they would also be "reduced pressure". The primer pockets appear to be tight enough. Just surprised at these. Anyone else experience this?

Attachments

• 20240116_051446.jpg
    20240116_051446.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240116_051342.jpg
    20240116_051342.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240116_051230.jpg
    20240116_051230.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 34
If the headspace is a bit sloppy, when the rifle is fired the primer moves to the rear first followed by the brass. This can cause the flattening of the primers making you think the load is hot.
Could be. I just got my headspace gages in the mail the other day. I'll check that. Thanks!

Edit. On second thought, I haven't experienced this with my full power loads in other Hornaday brass of equal weight.

Last edited:
Also, if pressure is low, they do not swell the brass quick enough for the case wall to grab the chamber, allowing the brass to slam back into the bolt face. This will show false pressure signs as well.
Just because it is a belted magnum, does not mean there is no room to still move a bit in the chamber.

Also, if pressure is low, they do not swell the brass quick enough for the case wall to grab the chamber, allowing the brass to slam back into the bolt face. This will show false pressure signs as well.
Just because it is a belted magnum, does not mean there is no room to still move a bit in the chamber.

This would be my guess! I think Lance may have "nailed it"! memtb

When I load reduced loads I never bump my brass back until I need to.
I think Lancetkenyon hit the nail on the head!

I'm guessing your right. These were factory loads. The innards seem to be sticking out of the primer some.

Lol. Got the rifle for a good price. Last owner thought 300WM would be great for long range. He found out he liked 30-06recoil better.

I love it when people get more than they can handle, blame poor shooting on the rifle and sell them cheap!

Now……if someone would offer me a real nice .458 Lott in a Model 70 Winchester, I'd like to find out if I can handle it! 🤔

A man has got to know his limitations! 😉 memtb

Tiny Tim I have found that as I age I feel similar.When younger I could shoot anything and now I have to have a Past Recoil Pad and a Limbsaver Recoil pad to have an enjoyable shooting day at the range.
Been thinking of something in the 6.5 to be my fun range rifle.Save the 300 win mag for hunting,where I never even feel recoil.

Tiny Tim I have found that as I age I feel similar.When younger I could shoot anything and now I have to have a Past Recoil Pad and a Limbsaver Recoil pad to have an enjoyable shooting day at the range.
Been thinking of something in the 6.5 to be my fun range rifle.Save the 300 win mag for hunting,where I never even feel recoil.
I know the feeling. Some rifles have poor stock designs and are more punishing than others.

I have a 243AI and 6.5 CM. fun at the range but don't teach recoil management like the larger calibers. Cheaper to shoot too. Good to have a balance of both worlds (as well as a 223 to learn the wind)