300wsm reduced loads?

7stw

Hey 300wsm guys! Looking for reduced load for a rifle that I just picked up. Got a model 70, CRF, early model, New Haven made, that I just couldn't pass up. Not a magnum fan like I used to be, but don't want to leave it the cabinet because I'm afraid of it. Looking for 150, or maybe even 130 loads that are a little easier on the shoulder. It dosent have to be a sissy load, but one that is tolerable to an older shoulder! ( it pains me to say THAT). Any thoughts or load info muchly appreciated. This gun really shoots well. In like new condition, stainless, in synthetic stock. Early 2000's. Closet queen! Thanks guys!

Hey 300wsm guys! Looking for reduced load for a rifle that I just picked up. Got a model 70, CRF, early model, New Haven made, that I just couldn't pass up. Not a magnum fan like I used to be, but don't want to leave it the cabinet because I'm afraid of it. Looking for 150, or maybe even 130 loads that are a little easier on the shoulder. It dosent have to be a sissy load, but one that is tolerable to an older shoulder! ( it pains me to say THAT). Any thoughts or load info muchly appreciated. This gun really shoots well. In like new condition, stainless, in synthetic stock. Early 2000's. Closet queen! Thanks guys!
Any reason you don't want a brake, Sir?
If against, I have had good luck with 155vld and the light end of varget loads. Let us know how it goes

If against, I have had good luck with 155vld and the light end of varget loads. Let us know how it goes
Mram, thanks for the response, I'd rather stay away for the brake, I'd like to keep this rifle original. I had thought about it though. The 155 does sound like one of my options, as is the 130 TTSX, and Varget, or H380.
I can handle a stout loaded 30.06, no problem, so anything in that area, I believe I can handle.
Basically, I'm looking for some input from,Those in the know, on this cartridge. I have at least a few thoughts on powder selection, and bullet choices, to fit my needs. Any additional input much appreciated.

Mram, an update, after a bunch of good recommendations, including yours, I'm thinking of going thst way after all. Looking into getting it threaded, then selecting brake. Also, replace the non functional recoil pad. Limbsaver air cell.

Cant wait to see the results, whatever you decide. My old friend (74 now) that taught me a ton about lr shooting and gunsmithing had me try some of his 125s in a 308 one day. I laughed and thought whatever. They shot better than anything I'd shot through it and it had no kick. He laughed and I learned yet another lesson from him :)

Mram, an update, after a bunch of good recommendations, including yours, I'm thinking of going thst way after all. Looking into getting it threaded, then selecting brake. Also, replace the non functional recoil pad. Limbsaver air cell.
Selecting a brake can be another fun thread. You don't have to pay a lot for a good brake. Ross Shuler in mountain home Idaho has always had my business. Great, very giving guy and I've owned well over 20 of his brakes. They've worked on 6.5cm upto my 338 edge. Whatever you decide, you'll like.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.