Redding or hornady dies?

BeaverHunter

I've been reloading for about a year now. Im a Full length resizer. I have several sets of dies, mostly Hornady custom series. About to buy another set for a 280 ackley improved and am wondering what you guys think of the difference between Redding and Hornady die quality is. I'm not a prs or mile shooter. But I am a hunter looking to produce accurate loads. Not looking to spend $200 plus on a set of dies(not that there is anything wrong with that). I think I've narrowed it down to the Hornady custom series or Redding basic set.
What do you guys think? Am I missing something by not going to a higher end die? The dies with separate bushings to set neck tension and some of that stuff kind of intimidates me because I dont know how to use them. Am I missing out on something not using them? Thanks in advance

Am I missing something by not going to a higher end die? The dies with separate bushings to set neck tension and some of that stuff kind of intimidates me because I dont know how to use them. Am I missing out on something not using them? Thanks in advance

I dont have Hornady but have Redding mostly but also some Lee, Forster & RCBS.
My preference is the Redding dies, they have that feel of being a bit better quality.
I mostly neck size & only FL size when I have to, IMO it produces more accurate ammo & also puts less stress on the brass, but I guess the accuracy part can be debated as it depends on your processes & regime to other standard dies.
I have a few sets of Type S bushing dies with comp seating dies & these seem to produce consistent quality ammo over the other standard dies, again imo & in my rifles.
I just think they produce more concentric ammo but for hunting I don't really think it is a necessity, even though most of the rifles I hunt with I still use the Type S dies & comp seater.
The way I see it if you can produce ammo that is moa or under then if you miss a shot it cant be the fault of the ammo & can only be put down to the person behind the trigger.

I have slowly been replacing my Redding, RCBS and two sets of Hornadys with Forster. The first to go were the Hornady, sorry but I couldn't get them dialed precisely for seating.

Having only been reloading for 50 years I would suggest the Forster dies. I just bought a set for $89 at Graf's. That is if you are not going to use bushing dies. I use Redding Type S FL bushing dies for all my PRS cartridges and use the Forester for everything else. I do suggest that you use the Redding Comp shell holders to set the Full length bump of the shoulder to .002-.003. Fitting the case to the chamber will pay off in big at the target and case life.

I have dies from RCBS, Hornady, Forster, old Bonanza, and Redding......All do their own thing, but I'm slowly replacing my Hornady dies because of how much they over work the necks on a full resize. Remove your expander ball, and run a case through, and measure how small to squeezes it down.........I do like Hornadys basic bullet seater though, when compared to other basic seat dies! I really like Forster dies overall best, but I think for the most part, everyone has their favorite brand which doesn't necessarily mean they are better.

I have purchased one set of Hornady and I am on the fence if I am going to replace them. I only FL size when I have to and then I use a Redding Body Die to do that. I need to take my expander ball out and check just how much Hornady neck sizing die is actually working the neck? I have Forester, Redding and a bunch of RCBS dies and I really like the Forester dies that I use. Just nice quality dies, but my Forester dies are all Bench Rest dies. I use a Lee Universal die to remove primers from fired cases, cheap and keeps everything clean. I have never owned a set of Lee reloading dies, but read some good reviews. As sated by others on this post, everyone has their favs. I like Forester, but I don't think you can go wrong with Redding.

I've been reloading for about a year now. Im a Full length resizer. I have several sets of dies, mostly Hornady custom series. About to buy another set for a 280 ackley improved and am wondering what you guys think of the difference between Redding and Hornady die quality is. I'm not a prs or mile shooter. But I am a hunter looking to produce accurate loads. Not looking to spend $200 plus on a set of dies(not that there is anything wrong with that). I think I've narrowed it down to the Hornady custom series or Redding basic set.
What do you guys think? Am I missing something by not going to a higher end die? The dies with separate bushings to set neck tension and some of that stuff kind of intimidates me because I dont know how to use them. Am I missing out on something not using them? Thanks in advance
I would go with Redding. I think they're a better die. I have a few Hornady dies and I seem to always have to mess with the decapping pins or adjustments. I do not like the zip spindle system and the expander balls are constantly working loose. Just my 2c

I have Whidden, Redding, RCBS, and Hornady. I prefer the Whidden but also really like the Redding master hunter dies.

Hey BEAVER I have just about every Cal. Imaginable of Dies in sets from Various makers, even a few sets of Custom Dies I had MADE from my ONCE FIRED BRASS. In my opinion, REDDING BUSHING COMPETITION DIE SETS are the BEST for your $$$! However sir, this is a CHOICE that YOU, and YOU ALONE MUST MAKE! You'll be the one using them, and reaping the benefits of your $$$ spent, and efforts on the bench, and time at the range. Most HONEST answer I can give a NEWBIE! GOOD LUCK Sir!
Theosmithjr

Well, I have two sets of Hornady custom dies and I love them . They size full-length very well . Of course I have Redding, Lee, RCBS, Lyman . Each for a variety of different rifles and pistols . The Hornady are among the best .

My runout on hornady dies is usually 3-5 thousandths. Completely unacceptable. There is reason some companies can charge more. Nobody wants to spend 150-300 bucks on a set of dies. If you're going to chase accuracy, why short change yourself every shot? ‍‍
I agree with the people recommending Forster dies. BUT Redding makes a fine product too.
Hornady isn't even a consideration for me.
I'll add the bump neck die is my all time favorite (Forster).