Redding Competition dies

I am ordering some redding dies and am trying to decide between a full length resizing die, or a neck only resizing die and a separate body sizer?

What do you guys use, full length or neck only dies? I have read good things about both, What do you guys think?

Hi Again!
If you can swing the expense, get the Competition set with the neck die. The body die will bump your shoulders quite nicely and only when they need it. The rest of the time, you're neck sizing only, and with great precision, I might add. Find someone to load a dummy round with your neck turned brass and order a neck bushing .002" smaller and you should be in business. Another option would be (if you're not planning on neck turning) to take whichever factory round shoots the best or, whatever brand of brass you'll be using, and measure the neck of a loaded round and subtract the .002" from that.
The best price I've found is http://www.brunoshooters.com/ for the Redding Dies. In my approximate 6 dealings with them, they've been completely reliable and have an awsome supply of quality shooting accessories.
Later

One of my shooting buddies is at the top of the Benchrest game in the local area and he has won regional matches as well.

I asked him about the neck vs full-length issue and he told me that a lot of the BR shooters are going back to FL sizing because it is a lot less hassle and every case is sized the same every time.

Apparently with neck only you never have a handle on the exact size and expansion of the cases and can get all sorts of variation.

If you are sizing cases anyways, how is it more work to full-length?

I buy all my Redding dies as full-length. It saves money not having to buy body dies.

Peter Cronhelm

Peter
I have heard that same thing. The main reason I heard for people neckonly sizing is to increase brass life, I don't know if it really think it would make that much of a differece though.

So is your buddy full length sizing?

Hi,
Thinking about that post I made on aligning dies... If you're using a full lenght die and setting the shoulder back in the process, you may not be able to get the die aligned and still have the proper amount of shoulder bump. As you adjust the die in and out to find alignment the amount of "bump" will change to (possibly) not enough, or too much. I use this procedure on a Redding Competition neck die and can adjust the amount of neck sizing done with the micro adjust on the top of the die to compensate for having backed the die out of the press a bit. Using a generic neck die will cause the same problems as using the full length generic die. If the Redding Competition has an adjustable neck and shoulder bump in their full length sizer, I don't know. I'd wager it's an adjustment for the neck part of the sizing and the bump is adjusted with the die body.
Coyoter

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.