Red Streaks In Barrel

Browninglover1

My old man just bought a Browning 1885 that looks like it has never been shot. So I set his scope up for him and decided to clean it before we go and shoot it tomorrow and the first 2 patches came out a matte red color. After that the bore was spotless. What would the red be? I'm wondering if it was factory grease.... does anybody know what it might be?

Thanks
Justin

I've cleaned rust out of barrels and never seen anything this color. It was really red, almost like a matte finish fire truck. If it's rust it looks to be minimal because after 2 patches and some brushing I can't get anything else out of it. Thanks for the reply.

I don't know what the red streaks actually were, but we took her out for the first time Saturday afternoon and she shot 5 shot groups right around an inch with factory Winchester loads. I'm hoping with a little reloading we can really make her shoot. Thanks for all the posts.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts