Barrel break in

I appreciate the response lamiglas. Would you mind breaking down how you clean? As if you were explaining it to somebody who never seen a jag before. How many wet patches do you push? how long between?

1. JE says shoot then clean while monitoring velocity. But how clean are we talking about here? Run a borescope in it and see absolutely no copper at all? Or just until a patch comes out with no blue?
2. How to clean? My cleaning education was from the Marine Corps, what I learned there is highly frowned upon by members of this forum.
3. Carbon: Should I run a solvent soaked patch through, then follow with dry, alternating till the dry one comes out snow white? Or are we looking for a solvent soaked that comes out clean, then dry patch to dry the bore? I notice my solvent soaked patches typically are clean long before the dry ones but that doesn't make sense in my head.
4. Copper: basically the same as carbon question. But it seems cleaning carbon then copper allows for better blue on the patch so does the order matter?
5. Just use patches? Or break out a brush? I currently only have the hoppes ones that are bronze.
The cleaning method I use: I use a Sinclair chamber cleaning kit to clean the action/ chamber area. Then for the barrel, I use possom hollow bore guides, dewey coated rods, the proper size boretech jags that dont give false copper readings and just recently I added heat shrink tubing over the brass portion of the dewey rod, also to prevent a false copper reading. I am currently using boretech eliminator hut have used the same method with sweets. I dont use brushes unless I am dealing with the dreaded carbon ring. I use the appropriate size patch that gives a snug fit. I wet a patch and run it full length down the bore and pull the patch once it exits the muzzle. I follow with a dry patch. I repeat this until both the wet patch and the dry patch come out clean ( no blue). During the process sometimes I will stroke the wet patch back and forth before it exits the muzzle. I dont wait between the wet and dry patches unless it appears that the copper is going to be stubborn. If there continues to be alot of blue after a few times, then I will let the solvent soak for a few minutes before going to a dry patch. Towards the end ill use more than one dry patch to get out as much as I can before going back to a wet patch. Once both the wet and dry patch come out clean, I will run 4 or 5 more dry patches in effort to get all of the solvent out. I forgot to mention previously that the first two patches are always black. The third I usually see a little blue with some black and after the 3rd I am down to copper (blue only) and will just see blue until its removed. I hope that answered your question and I hope it helped.

Isnt the number of rounds needed to breakin a barrel unpredictable? You can chrono both ways.

Yes
Normally the better the quality the faster the barrel breaks in. The least number I have found was 7 shoot and clean the average is 8 to 10 . some barrels have taken 15 to 20 total shots with as many as 10 shoot and clean and another 3 to 4 groups of 3 shots and a clean added before they will shoot 5 shots good.

With factory barrels most will exceed 25 shots to never really broke in.

Just my observations

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.