Barrel Break-In

Now I'm am confused yet again because fire shoot and clean is break in, Tubbs and other measures like that are also Break in. All of these products are available to hurry up the brake in period. Yes I shoot the same barrels as everyone else and it is very common to shoot fouled barrels. I don't see that any of the major brands are majic in any way shape or form. I'm not sure who some people are refering to in posts and it honestly does not matter. There is a world of difference between target shooting and hunting I stand by what I have said if it takes more than 3 rounds to foul a barrel it is not broke in. I do not mince in generalities they are facts and this time in my yellow boxed scorned opinion which seem to be there for no other reason than to disagree with me and add nothing to the conversation makes me also want ask what is a Top shot is that something like a round tire, what are the qualifications for a Top shot is that a Marksman a Sharpshooter what. Everybody is a Top shot Now days and if a person wishes to contradict me with contradictions what the heck this is a forum - what was the point

I was running some tests today, I cleaned carbon fouling and left copper alone, thing is in this particular barrel I don't see any copper, I guess last year I did proper "break-in" it was a mix of fire then clean with KG-1, KG-2, leave some KG-2 in the bore, just a trace, then fire again. So today I fired a string with my usual load and it took 4 shots before barrel stabilized, I mean first shot was 50 fps more then what I would get from faulted barrel, then the next had 10 fps decrees, so I fired 5 shots vertical string. The next 5 shots was within the range of the 5th shot I fired from the first group, 2nd group was OK group, 3 shots were duplicates and other 2 had +-5fps. This barrel was capable of shooting very tight groups, but today I couldn't make single one hole group. I could also blame my setup, like shooting from rocking folding table on uneven surface, then wind with updrafts and snow, but I would rather stick to the stabilizing barrel theory ;-)

Jinx it sounds like your barrel is past a break in concern. How about starting a new thread on the differences in shooting in nasty weather. Its a neglected topic, It caught my attention Spring day flat lander and frost bit hillbilly we get to be both as hunters.

Jinx, your barrel is "stabilized" the same for every shot. From clean to horribly fouled, it behaves the same as far as wiggling, whipping and vibrating is concerned. By stabilized, I think your are referring to the way it behaves for each shot. If not, please explain.

Bullets are reshaped by fouling. Part of their jacket's removed and deposited in the micro pits in the metal surfaces of the lands and grooves. Powder residue also builds up. While some of both will adhere to subsequent bullets being fired, the overall effect is when part of a bullet jacket's removed, it's unbalanced and won't shoot perfect. Barrels that shoot more accurate after fouling do so because the rough surfaces have been filled in by jacket material and much less is scraped off bullets fired thereafter.

Bart B, I was referring to the moment when bullets are flying at constant velocity, so I call it stable, its when surface of the bore build enough fouling which will keep persistent pressure, in my test first shot got clocked at 3050 fps, but after 4 shots it falls to constant 3000 fps +-2....

There is a world of difference between target shooting and hunting
Why would a given barrel perform different in either one? Barrels don't know what shooting discipline they're shot in. Each one performs the same in all shooting sports. Barrels are not capable of behavioral changes based on how they're used or where they are. Only plants and animals do such things.

I stand by what I have said if it takes more than 3 rounds to foul a barrel it is not broke in.
Of all the Hart, Obermeyer and Kreiger barrels I've worn out, they all shot just fine from the first shot. No break in or fouling was needed for the Sierra and Lapua bullets I've used.

I still wouldn't go hunting with just polished cleaned barrel, when you only got one shot. I shoot my rifles day or two prior the hunt and leave them unclean, however clean barrel shot only varies within 1"@100 yards but 1"@100 would make 5"@500 from where I aimed... There is also cold barrel shot that's different story it usually varies within 30 seconds, that I can tolerate at long ranges, its not like I have to hit exactly on the right or left ventricle...

I still wouldn't go hunting with just polished cleaned barrel, when you only got one shot.
That's a good thing to avoid. Especially with the older Winchester broach rifled pre-'64 barrels. Their hammer forged ones made later were better, but they still needed a shot or two to "condition" them. Remington barrels have been better in this regard, at least from what folks I know who've used them say.

BartB velocity is effected to a large degree by the shooter in different circumstances even how consistent those velocities are and independent of the rifle, accuracy heads the same direction in differences

Cowboy that article is almost exactly the same break in procedure I have been using and it works good. I have been using KG12 for copper removal in lieu of Bore tech. I avoid Sweets or Barnes or anything with amonia.
I use Hoppes 9 and Kroils. Try to stay away from wire brushes, prefer nylon. I have seen more barrles ruined by too much or too aggressive cleaning that anything. I have done it myself until I learned.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts