Barrel break in

ptb

Hello all. Never really gave barrel break in much thought. Read that some recommend a break in sequence and others say not needed. Have done both on the several rifles I own and haven't seen much difference between the two techniques. Seemed like the "break in" procedure made future cleanings easier, but not sure. What are your thoughts/experiences and what is your break in procedure. Thx

This is a touchy topic. As I understand it, break in is done mostly to burnish the cross scratches made by the reamer. Quality barrels are already lapped so the surface of the bore is very nice. However, when the chamber is cut the reamer cutting blades are moving perpendicular to the bore.

As you noticed, the main benefit to performing a barrel break in, is then it will be easier to clean.

I believe the "burnishing" would be within the bore. The bullet doesn't contact any part of the metal that has been touched by the chamber reamer. Like Shrtrdy said it's a touchy subject, lots of opinions on the matter. I've not done it myself with past rifles, but I have 4 sitting in the safe that I intend to try it out on, one is a shilen barrel, 2 savages and the other bergara. From what I've read over the years the 2 savages will benefit from a shoot clean shoot clean regimen but I dont know that the others will as they are supposedly lapped at the factory IIRC

I have gathered that hammer forged barrels and hand lapped button rifle barrels do not need it and that you are just wearing down the lands by over cleaning. So I am guessing that buttoned rifled non lapped barrels would be the only ones that would benefit from a barrel break -in. I am no expert on the subject and would like to hear the opinions of those that know much more then I do.

My theory is based on what lapping & the quality of it that has occurred on the barrel during construction.
Full stop!

I did ignore best protocol on a couple of rifle & found with Tikka's that just shoot them & don't worry about it.

Remington's I have found need a little settling down 'OR' firing before the bore smoothens out.

Never looked into the differences between the 2 makers or processes but yeh imo depends on many factor within the manufacturing process!

Here is the 1st 6 shots out of a new Tikka 20' varmint at 100mtrs with a load I had for another tikka that was 22' barrelled,

upload_2019-12-18_14-19-31.png

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.