Recovered 143g Hammer Hunter from 868y cow

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I just got this pic sent to me this morning from our Customer Terry with this note.

This is a 7mm 143gr Hammer Hunter removed from a cow elk. She was shot at 868 yds from a 28 Nosler running at 3650fps. It was a hard quartering shot that broke the front shoulder and the off side hip. It was recovered between the meat and hide in the off side hindquarter. Recovered weight is 102g. Cow never took another step. Conditions were at 8200' elev and 20*. Puts the impact vel at roughly 2230 fps.

This is exactly the performance we are after. 70% weight retention with a nice square flat frontal area on the retained shank. Looks identical to bullets fired into test media. This bullet still looks the same even though it encountered two heavy bone impacts with perfect straight line penetration. Fantastic! Thanks for the pic Terry!

Attachments:

Awesome! I have recovered a hand full of the 143's (7mm rem mag) 155's (7 RUM) 181's (300RUM) and 124's (6.5-284) at 100 yrds, 200yrds, and a couple at 500 yrds, and they all look the same. I take a shovel and a screen with me when I shoot just to recover and inspect. I am yet to take a animal with either but hope to this season as I autopsy every animal I take. Thanks Steve. Jason

Nice. I'm loading some up in my buddies 7mm rem mag to use out in California. So far with H4831sc and ADG brass with a 24" tube, have got up to 3250 and haven't reached max pressure yet, though there is a significant flat spot at 3250 ranging at least a full grain wide. I think I'm getting close to max. Should be a nice critter whopper.

Nice. I'm loading some up in my buddies 7mm rem mag to use out in California. So far with H4831sc and ADG brass with a 24" tube, have got up to 3250 and haven't reached max pressure yet, though there is a significant flat spot at 3250 ranging at least a full grain wide. I think I'm getting close to max. Should be a nice critter whopper.
I think you are pretty close. 3300 fps is about as much as we see with the 7 mag. Give or take depending on rifle and powder. H4831sc almost always makes a great load, but not always as fast. In the end nothing can tell the 50 fps other than you. I still have a hard time not chasing it!

Finally got a chance to put my 280AI to task. After spotting a large herd bedded down from about 2 miles away, I found an approach to sneak and managed to get into about 150 yards. I thought I got busted by a standing buck so I chose the closest doe and made the shot. Turns out that the buck probably only stood up to stretch and the herd had no idea that I was there. In a rush I chose a doe that was bedded and turned almost facing me but she was looking away from me. The shot hit high with the bullet traveling high missing the scapula but hit the spine, upper lungs, diaphragm, and liver. A large exit at the back of the ribs. Looks like the bullet did what it was designed, petals dispersed on impact and the base pushed through. Very happy given my poor shooting. Surprisingly, I did recover the bullet (102 grains) and 1 petal (3.8 grains) under the hide even though there was a huge exit hole. Bullet was moving approximately 3030fps at the muzzle. I gutted her and carried her out whole in my Mystery Ranch Beartooth about 1200 yards up to my truck.

73546642_10162675652825553_1685856491396923....jpg
73049364_10162675653195553_5854023055600254....jpg
72566605_10162675653365553_8078636323302277....jpg

Here is another 143g Hammer Hunter recovered. Still not sure how this one stopped! Looks identical to the one caught in the elk. Exact same 102g retained. Two very diff impacts. This is from one of our customers.

Last edited:
I think you are pretty close. 3300 fps is about as much as we see with the 7 mag. Give or take depending on rifle and powder. H4831sc almost always makes a great load, but not always as fast. In the end nothing can tell the 50 fps other than you. I still have a hard time not chasing it!
Ya, from everything I was seeing I figured I was close. I bet only a grain, maybe grain and a half and I will see over pressure signs. Only reason I want to work up higher at this point is so I know how close to max this load will be. I know 4831sc is pretty stable, but this load will be used for everything from early california blacktail in high heat to late season elk in Wyoming, so I want it to be gtg in any condition. Thus the large flat spot at 3250 with around 66.5 grains (65 - 3193, 66 - 3253, 67 - 3244) is probably where I will end up.

Nice take on the pronghorn!! They are always fun to hunt.

Ya, from everything I was seeing I figured I was close. I bet only a grain, maybe grain and a half and I will see over pressure signs. Only reason I want to work up higher at this point is so I know how close to max this load will be. I know 4831sc is pretty stable, but this load will be used for everything from early california blacktail in high heat to late season elk in Wyoming, so I want it to be gtg in any condition. Thus the large flat spot at 3250 with around 66.5 grains (65 - 3193, 66 - 3253, 67 - 3244) is probably where I will end up.

Nice take on the pronghorn!! They are always fun to hunt.
Not my goat. That came from one of our customers. I put a clarification in my post.

I just got this pic sent to me this morning from our Customer Terry with this note.

This is a 7mm 143gr Hammer Hunter removed from a cow elk. She was shot at 868 yds from a 28 Nosler running at 3650fps. It was a hard quartering shot that broke the front shoulder and the off side hip. It was recovered between the meat and hide in the off side hindquarter. Recovered weight is 102g. Cow never took another step. Conditions were at 8200' elev and 20*. Puts the impact vel at roughly 2230 fps.

This is exactly the performance we are after. 70% weight retention with a nice square flat frontal area on the retained shank. Looks identical to bullets fired into test media. This bullet still looks the same even though it encountered two heavy bone impacts with perfect straight line penetration. Fantastic! Thanks for the pic Terry!

Attachments:
What powder? N570 with that speed?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.