Recommend some good crossbow scopes?

beanbird05

Hello folks, This past year I got into deer hunting, and borrowed a crossbow (with its "factory optic") for bow season. I didn't really notice the optic much (I think it was maybe 2-5x or something), until I had my only shot of the season, 5 minutes before legal end of hunting day.

Too dark. Didn't take the shot because I wasn't 100% comfortable.

I'm going to buy my own crossbow for this year's season -- probably the Excalibur Micro (Recurve).

I'm wondering if yah'll can recommend some scopes? Really I don't need much magnification, obviously, for a shot 30-40 yards away. What I need is durability and light gathering ability.

Oh, and budget is not really an issue. Any recommendations?

Oh and a separate question -- should I limit myself to "crossbow scopes"? For instance the Leopold crossbow-specific scope (crossbones 2-7x) doesn't seem to get great reviews.. might I be better served by a Leopold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm? Or, is the crossbow-specific reticle really a big must-have?

Thanks in advance for any ideas...

I have a vortex crossbow scope but there discontinued. Buddy uses a Nikon crossbow scope on his. Its doest have illuminated reticles like mine but probably has better glass

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.