Recoil is killing me

Pachmayer XLT is the SOFTEST and more durable than the limbsaver. A recoil vest or shield like the PAST is also good for spreading recoil over a larger area.

When you shoot prone if the gun is very low overall the recoil can come back on your collar bone more than the fleshy front part of the shoulder and it hurts way more. You could try raisng the gun up at the bipod and the butt and placing a pad of some kind under your chest . This may get the recoil pad more on the front of the shoulder . Also you may be letting the gun jump at your shoulder . A firm grip is better than a loose grip to reduce felt recoil.

As for the limbs saver if you live anywhere with heat forget them, junk. One literally melted to the point of dripping in my truck and one in safe deformed at 87 degrees. What a junk product. You at also try mercury if you dont want to go the break route.

When you shoot prone if the gun is very low overall the recoil can come back on your collar bone more than the fleshy front part of the shoulder and it hurts way more. You could try raisng the gun up at the bipod and the butt and placing a pad of some kind under your chest . This may get the recoil pad more on the front of the shoulder . Also you may be letting the gun jump at your shoulder . A firm grip is better than a loose grip to reduce felt recoil.

The butt is in the shoulder pocket not on the coller bone, I'm going to look into a but pad.
And I'm putting medium to light pressure on the but pad.

It'll be about 4 weeks before I will shoot it again because I'm having to send it back to Savage because the stock screws keep comming loose the magizine falls out when I shoot it and getting light primer strikes also after 30 rounds the scope rail came loose. So far a little over 100 rounds fired.
I think I got a lemon.
Also going to get a better brake.

Thanks

As for the limbs saver if you live anywhere with heat forget them, junk. One literally melted to the point of dripping in my truck and one in safe deformed at 87 degrees. What a junk product. You at also try mercury if you dont want to go the break route.
That's odd. I have one on my300 Rum which rode in the truck all summer last year and never had a problem like that, and it was damned hot in N. Texas last summer!

I wonder if yours came from a bad batch?

The butt is in the shoulder pocket not on the coller bone, I'm going to look into a but pad.

It'll be about 4 weeks before I will shoot it again because I'm having to send it back to Savage because the stock screws keep comming loose the magizine falls out when I shoot it and getting light primer strikes also after 30 rounds the scope rail came loose. So far a little over 100 rounds fired.
I think I got a lemon.

Thanks
**** buddy! Sounds like you need some superglue, locktite and duct tape!

Savage customer service is pretty good so I'd bet they take care of you right.

I think I got a lemon.

Thanks

Dose not sound good. The scope rail just needs locktite on the screws and maybe some under the base.
I don't knock any Savage guns but I have never been a big fan of Savage guns in general .
Sure hope they fix it properly for you .

put one of idahoitc's five port 1.25" breaks on it he will make it in 5/8x24 for you. I have used to many to count now and they work very well and it is only $60 shipped for his biggest break

I just had a 338 Edge built, its 7lbs 4 ounces naked and 10lbs even with a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 installed with alumninum rings and base and anti cant.
Its stocked in a hunter style stock that weights 26 ounces and has a gind to fit limbsaver pad. I had a holland QD muzzle brake put on it. Shooting 300gr bergers at 2800 fps and I'm suprised how light the recoil is, something like 270 win

Is there a magic combo or just the force of a certain weight projectile pushed to a certain speed until the end of the barrel=recoil :rolleyes:

Is there a magic combo or just the force of a certain weight projectile pushed to a certain speed until the end of the barrel=recoil :rolleyes:
Recoil comes from two different sources.

1) The equal and opposite reaction of launchign a given mass at a given velocity down the barrel.

Other than going with heavier rigs there's not much you can do to mediate this component of felt recoil.

2) The Rocket motor effect of all that hot, expanding gas behind the bullet suddenly being freed when the bullet exits the barrel at which time it rockets the muzzle backwards against you. This aspect of recoil can dramatically be cut with a good muzzle brake.

That's why the right muzzle brake can reduce your felt recoil from the idential loads in the same rifle by as much as around 60-75%.

Also different stocks will reduce the FELT recoil, not the recoil its self but how the recoil is delivered to your shoulder. Some are way more effective than others.

I'd put a brake on it and a limbsaver. You could also wear a pad or a padded shirt when you shoot.

The brake (#1) and the limb saver (#2) will make the most difference.

Pachmayer XLT is the SOFTEST and more durable than the limbsaver. A recoil vest or shield like the PAST is also good for spreading recoil over a larger area.
The XLT is not a pad made for magnum rifle shooting. It is designed for trap shooters who of course shoot many, many more times the number of rounds any of us would with our LR Rifles in the course of a day, but they are shooting very low recoiling loads to begin with.

The Pachmayr Decellerator however is a great pad designed for felt recoil reduction in magnum rifles.

How "soft" the pad is is not really reflective how much reduction in felt recoil you'll get from your magnum rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.