Recipie for a 300 rum

RandySmith

My Remington 300 RUM long range rifle just arrived. I have been looking everywhere in hopes of finding information on ammunition that others are having success with, but no luck. Has anyone shot this rifle before and can recommend a load for it? Really don't want to waist money and shoulder pain on testing several rounds if someone has a good starting point. I will be using it for LR hunting on elk and deer. My buddy can make me a load, I just need to buy the stuff.

H1000, CCI 250 mag primer, Remington brass, and Berecommendr 230. My rifle stacks these in the same hole at 100 and 2" at 880 yards.

+1 on this combo my sendero loved that combo well under 1/2 moa. I would recommend a muzzle brake makes it a pleasure to shoot and a wyatts extended box mag and bed the action. Good luck

Thanks a lot, my buddy can't find a 230 Berger. Can you please tell me where we can find that bullet.

Hey we found a tactical 230 Berger but can that be used hunting? Also how grain of powder are you using.

Hey we found a tactical 230 Berger but can that be used hunting? Also how grain of powder are you using.

broz is using the 215 for hunting and doing VERY well with it. I'm working with the 168 berger target in my 7rum and it is promising so far.

I'd start at 90 gr. rl33 and work up 'till you get to 3,000 fps or so. You will land between 95 grains and 101 grains depending on your rifle, brass, etc...

So I have to ask what is wrong with the OTM's? They may have a little less BC but they shoot great. The other ones are not hunting bullets either they are bergers target bullets. So really neither one is recommended by berger for hunting... But chuncking any 30 cal 230 grn 700 plus BC object at an elk will most likely give it a dirt nap for good.:D

I am finally to the point where I am ready to do some loading. I ran into one problem, I cannot find any H1000 powder. Can anyone recommend where I can find some?

I've had extremely good luck with: Retumbo - Fed 215M - Berger 230gr Targets. Farthest kill shot with this load being 754 yards on a bull elk. extreme accuracy out past 1200 yards..

Good luck and happy shoot, Eric

My buddy has some of that powder. By chance does anyone live in Butler PA, I found some H1000 but the store does not ship. I see a lot of folks using the Berger 230, but if you call Berger, they will tell you they don't recommend it for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.