25-06 reload recipie for 75gr vmax

Jared Maness

I read some of the threads on reloading the 75gr vmax but most are from a few years ago. I am looking to load the 75s to about 3650fps in a Sako A7 24.4 barrel for predators mainly coyotes cats and fox. Fur damage isnt super important but I dont want to destroy them I need the weight to be good still. (Varmint contests)

Oal is 3.100 and we started with 57gr of Reloader 19 but I dont think it will get us to the velocity I am looking for. There are a few new powders I see on the market and I was wanting to know if anyone has had success with them. I am going to try 7828ssc 63 grains also here soon. Any suggestions?
I am a novice at reloading but I'm being helped by my father.

I use Hodgdon H-100V for the lighter bullets in the .25-'06. Excellent accuracy in my rifle and the shot string statistics are solid. I would start at 53 grains and work up. I'm at 56 gr. behind the 75 gr. V-Max and getting just a tick under 3,700 fps out of a 28" barrel.

That bullet is not very fur-friendly. It tends to wreck stuff properly, especially at higher velocities. If you want good terminal performance (no crawlers) and less damage to the target, you might want to use a 100 gr. Speer BTSP. You can push that bullet pretty fast with H-100V or H4831SC and it won't disassemble your target like the V-Max will at 3,600+.

Most any of the light 75 to 87 gr varmint bullets are not critter friendly much less fur friendly. Used to shoot 87 Sierra with IMR 4350 on groundhogs. Was a sight to behold. RED MIST and scattered pieces. I had to shoot a fox while deer hunting once. I had already killed a deer but since it was still almost and hour and half until dark and it was legal to kill more than one deer a day I stayed in the stand. A fox shows up and climbs up on my deer and I know is going to start eating. So I pick him right off the deer. Shot was just a little over 100 yards with 117 Sierra Pro Hunter 3000 fps at muzzle. It blew it's whole off side shoulder clean off.

If I remember correctly I was using about 50-51gr of varget behind 70gr blitz kings and hitting around 3800fps out of my 2506ai,
was trying to hit 4000 fps but they wouldn't hold together as I approached those speeds (could have been because the barrel was on its way out)...
also used 48gr of varget behind 87gr tnt's as a fire forming load @3600 fps in the same gun...
so if you have some varget laying around you could give it a try
Orch

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.