243 AI 75gr vmax loads

turtle.ut

Hay guys, i am new here and look fore some help. i have a sako in 243 AI 1-10 twist and have been shooting the 75 gr vmax with good success, anybody have any other pet loads for this combo?

I use 46gn Vit N160 in my 21" 1-9 walther barrelled sako with the 75 v-max. Haven't chrono'd yet, expect about 3300 based on when it was a 243win. Lapua cases Fed 210GM primers, ~5thou off the lands. About 1moa. Cheers, Mike

Try Win 760

While aout the burning rate of IMR 4350 and others in this class the 760 seems to like the 243 Ai case. Accuracy in my Cooper factory 1 in 10 has been excellent with the 75 A-Max.

Lapua brass and Federal 210M's of course... work up and enjoy the redmister.

Turtle

Try VV-N150, H380 and H4350. I would suggest the VV-N150, it's awesome powder. Here is load for you to try;

1. Lapua brass
2. Federal 210M Primers
3. 45grns VV-N150-Work up to this, so start out with 43grns and work up to 45grns.
4. 75grn V-Max

Try the 87grn V-Max too, it's a great bullet. Try this load;
1. Lapua Brass
2. 46grns H4350-Work up to 46grns.
3. Federal 210M Primers
4. 87grn V-Max

If you have a 28" to 30" barrel, you should be able to push the 75grn V-Max to around 3700fps. My buddy uses a 6mmAI with 30" 1-10 twist barrel. He pushes the 75grn V-Max at around 3800 to 3850. The 75grn V-Max is absolutely devastating on Squirrels, Groundhogs and PDogs.

I either use Ballistic Tip's our V-Max bullets for my varminting. They work well out to around 800 yards. I love pushing a Ballistic Tip or V-Max bullet at super high velocities. The splat factor is awesome!

The 243AI is an awesome varmint cartridge. Have fun with it and let us know how the load developement works.

W.

We just stumbled across an interesting load for our .243AI and the 62gr Varmint Grenades this weekend. Turns out 51.5gr of H414 will push these little guys to 4030fps out of a 27.5" 1:8 barrel. ES and accuracy was very respectable as everything from 50-51.5gr all shot in the same hole.

I usually use AA 2700 for my 10 twist 243AI shooting the 70 grain blitzkings & Hornady 75 grain V-maxes, but I have used H-414, & W 760 all with a Magnum primer to lite it off...
This day the 243AI got me into the 500 yard club.
FieldShots.jpg

I am just about to get my 26" 8twist Brux 243AI, and am wanting to develop a midrange varmint load for it(midrange meaning out to 500 yds, even though Ill probably end up shooting it farther:rolleyes:). I have a bunch of 87gr vmax that I shoot out of my 6br and was figuring on trying those, but now you guys got me thinking about using the 75gr vmax.

Anyone try either the 75gr or 87gr vmax or the 80gr Berger with Varget or RL15 or 19? Just wonderin as thats where I was headin.

Man JLR those 62's are screamin!!!!!!!!! Surprised they stay together with the fast twist. Might have to try those to see how the splat factor is on some prarie dogs this fall.

Anyone try either the 75gr or 87gr vmax or the 80gr Berger with Varget or RL15 or 19? Just wonderin as thats where I was headin.

Well I'm new so keep that in mind but..... I've been shooting the 75 gr V-max's with Varget (38 gr/CCI primers/2.6" OAL (this gives me ~1 caliber worth of bullet in the neck)/Rem brass/Lee collett neck sized to 0.002" smaller than loaded neck OD) from my plain .243 Rem 700 SPS Varmint and it's under 1moa (usually ~.75) at 100 yards. The 87's I have been shooting with IMR 4350 (40.1 gr/CCI/2.7"/Rem brass/Neck sized) for an easy .75 moa at 100 yards. They've been about the best loads I've had so far.

I have some RL-15 but never tried it with these bullets.

My groups usually have some flyers and I always include them in the measuring.
That is to say I think they could do better with a better shooter.
I think the flyers are my shooting and/or reloading because I often get three or four touching each other in a clump and the other one or two 1/2 to 3/4 inches away, frequently with the flyers right on top of each other too like I had two distinct POI's. I guess I'm not very consistent with how I hold the rifle but we (the rifle and I) are a work in progress.

Cheers, John

Last edited:
thanks for the info. The barrel should be here tomorrow, so I need to get me some dies ordered soon so I can go play.

What has everyone found for the cleanest powder, I like Varget and RL-15 isn't bad, we use moly bullets and don't clean very often. I have gone 500 rounds without cleaning during a three day shoot, I have gone 750 rounds in my 22-250 without cleaning......don't have time when there are dogs to flip, splat, and explode................

30gr V-Max with 51 grs Varget and 1-8 twist explode at 70 yds in the air............40gr V-Max would hold together and hit dogs at 600yds. I normally shoot 44.5 grs Varget with the 75gr V-Max for extended shooting to keep barrel temps down................with max loads in the 47.8 gr area barrel is super heated after 3-4 shots and needs cooling time. Last year we used towels dipped in ice water to cool barrels down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.