.270 recipie wanted

Musket_0

materials on hand are Nosler 155gr ballistic tips, Fed 210 or CCI 210 primers, H4831 or RL 22 powders.
Some target and light hunting(White Tail and Yote). Rifle is Savage 111, 1-9 twist, 24" pipe. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Jeff's Wife

I have been using 57.5 grs. of h-4831 with a 150 gr. Speer spitzer getting 2810 f.p.s. I've stayed with the Speer because my particular rifle like flat based bullets, and they perform superbly on deer. The quickest killing bullet I ever used was the Sierra 150 gr. bt. However it really bloodshots the meat. I have some rl-22 on hand and I'm thinking of trying it out.

Hmmmmm, deer and yotes..............Same bullet?
Hmmmmmm, MI...... Short shots maybe 200 yds max?

I use the 140 br Hornady for anything of deer size and up and the Nosler 130 Ballistic Tip for anything deer size and down.

For your neck of the woods I'd consider dropping back to the Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip. Also consider going with a non-magnum primer. Used magnums for years and had a big jump in performance when going to the CCI-200.

RL22 could be the powder. Its usually pretty fair in the 270. Follow the book till you learn your rifle's pressure signs. (mic, flat primers, etc)

Load it back abit to keep from ruining venison or take no shots at less than 200 yds.

If you want a "real" varmint rifle, drop back to the Sierra 90 gr bullet and maybe 4895. You may be supprised.

FWIW

I have had excellent luck w/ RL22 and 150 grain bullets. I usually end up at about 56.5 grains RL22, but this is max so work up to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts