Rebarrelling

Interesting thread. If you are investing time and want to do it right get the good tools. It makes it easier and safer. I have shilen barrels that they prechamber and thread for savage. They are expensive but shoot great. Don't go cheap as the tools are less than a new barrel. Good luck

Guess I would be better off to send these to a Smith.However how dangerous would it be if tried on my own ?And where can I get action and barrel wrenches(Both hand held instead of bench mounted.)And give it a try ?

What are you trying to accomplish by doing the work yourself? If you're wanting to learn gunsmithing then I suggest that you follow "birdiemc's" suggestions. However I'm thinking that what we're suggesting to you is that unless you have some gunsmithing knowledge, machine shop/tool making skills, a barrel vise, an action wrench, a lathe or access to one, go and no-go headspace gauges you're better off not trying to do the work yourself, send the actions to a gun smith. The costs for just the tools to complete your work are going to be high. Due to the two different actions, I think that you will need two action wrenches plus the barrel vise. If you have to buy the tools to get the job done it will cost a whole lot less to have a gunsmith do the work than trying it yourself. And.....after all is done you might just have to send the action to a gunsmith to install the barrel properly.

I'm a do it yer selfer on most things. However, I also know there are some things that merit a professional. I took my last Rem 700 in and had it rebarreled. It's worth paying to know it was done right...

I did my .260 rem with a Shilen prefit from Midway. It's a 1/2moa shooter. I rented a reamer and set the headspace. Not hard at all. I also bought a chamber hone to polish it when finished. Worked out great.

Ptg makes a good remmy 700 inside action wrench. As far as a barrel vise just google them, alot of people make them. Sereval people make action wrenches also. I seen a defiance wrench for sale the other day that should work on the rem 700. Your going to want the vise wether on the action or barrel mounted to a bench or something.

Inside wrenches are dangerous for removing factory barrels. The action can twist.

Here is my two cents worth on Switch Barrels.

I have 4 rigs with switch barrels. Three of the rifles have not had their barrels changed in excess of 10 years. The barrels lay in a rack in my shop collecting dust (actually they are in tubes to protect them). The only one that I take the time to swap out is an XP-100 pistol that has three barrels, 6BR, 6Dasher, and 308 Win.

It is easy to do when they are set up correctly, but every time they must be sighted in again. What a pain. But with anything other than Savage Barrel nut style action, Barrel vise is a must.

If you have never swapped a barrel, you need to find someone that has the tools to show you. That way you would have a better understanding of process. Its easy, but it is not like screwing a loading die in a press to size 38 specials.

Regarding buying used barrels, if the barrel was removed from a rifle, there was prob a really good reason, IT DIDN'T SHOOT ANYMORE! Barrels are like tires, when they wear out, throw them away. They make nice tent stakes.

The exception is if you get hooked up with someone that shoots BR or F Class competitively, allot of those guys pull barrels at the first sign of shooting flyers in a match. Those barrels will make very nice varmint rifles, but you are limited on twist options.

JMHO

This is an excellent barrel vice, and inexpensive iMO. I own one and really like it. Also I suggest you buy Go/NoGo gauges for each rifle caliber you own, or may wish to work on.

https://shop.otmtactical.com/Viper-Barrel-Vise.html

Viper Barrel Vise.JPG

Last edited:
You can get just an action on gunbroker dot com. You can also get a good used gun on there.
There are a lot of places that make barrels. ER Shaw is one of the cheaper ones but good. I use McGowen. You can get a barrel from them depending on what you have done to it from about $250-1000+. Talk to a local gunsmith and ask them if you should have the barrel guys thread and chamber it or if they want to do it. If you do it in phases its not that bad on the wallet all at once. I pay a down pmt for barrel and a final when ready. Same when the gunsmith starts. Good luck.

Purchase a new barrel Hart, Bartlein, Shilen, Krieger, Shaw etc. Next, find a gunsmith who rebarrels rifles, not all gunsmiths do that work. rifle barrels, not all do that work. If you own a Cooper they will re-barrel your rifle and rechamber it for any caliber only charging for the barrel at $150; my 30-06 took 5 months to get done but I had a custom match replacing the standard 24" .

Given that your asking 'How To' questions, likely you don't have the tools or skill set to perform the necessary tasks. Enjoy the shooting sport and find a skilled, knowledgeable gunsmith. Used barrel question, as a replacement barrel, honestly, nope not a good idea.

I already have a M77 and a couple of 700s.I thought I might be able to order some new heavy barrels made specifically the the 700 and M77, get a couple of barrel and action wrenches,float and glass the stocks,measure headspace with a depth guage or something,then put them back together but I looks like I may need to send these off to a Smith.
You can but unless your a tions are blueprinted getting the tolerances required for proper match ups for lugs nose and headspace are a crapshoot.

If you want to experiment buy remage or savage barrels for your scrion and headspace gauges. Then you can rebarrel and change calibers using same bolt for a family of cases or a new bolt if needed. Full on Chambering and truing actions are a whole nother level of commitment in equipment, special tooling and learning.
G

Attachments

• 717BC6F1-B6CC-4013-BF0A-9BFE7DB4A339.jpeg
    717BC6F1-B6CC-4013-BF0A-9BFE7DB4A339.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 208
  • 080AD735-985A-456E-80C5-22ADCC31B90A.jpeg
    080AD735-985A-456E-80C5-22ADCC31B90A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 217
I'm not a Gunsmith nor do I claim to have the knowledge to do a rebarrel , but from what I've heard it does sound like a Savage Remage would be the way to go.
I have a friend that is wanting to do it with a Savage from a 30-06 to a .280.
It seems to me that if you compare the cost of having one of your Rifles done by a GunSmith or buying a Savage and doing a Remage on it that you would be better off with the Savage and could do multiple Calibers as you go.
If your a novice I would recommend the savage, remage route to start. Later on you could do the switch barrel thing if you want to do different calibers on the same action

I'll stick with making precision hand loads, tools for barrels, bolts and actions are a bit too heavy to move around the cellar.

NO. Not unless its a Savage or similar using a nut. Factory actions are so sloppy there is little chance it will be properly headspaced. If you really want to swap barrels you need to get a Savage but it really sounds like maybe you don't have the aptitude? No offense but your questions lead me to my statement.
Not only that, you need the proper gushes for Head Spacing. Follow Furmans Advice, get a S.ITH to do it. Then for any reaso its FUCKED UP you can always take it to him. DIY leaves you ZERO RECOURSE if YOU SCREW THE POOCH! Theosmithjr

Have a good Smith do it. a blown up gun is not worth losing fingers or eyes plus the loss of a fire arm. buy at least a no go gage expensive well sort of but will last forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.