Rebarrelling

Bigger picture. If head space is set on the shoulder a lathe must be used to set. If using a nut a prefit can be used and headspace set with go/no go gauges using the nut.

How close would a used factory make ,model specific barrel be or a barrel already threaded and crowned for my specific rifle?
Would it still require a lathe?

You never k how until you headspace it, but chances are not very good or the stamping on the barrel lining up.

Guess I would be better off to send these to a Smith.However how dangerous would it be if tried on my own ?And where can I get action and barrel wrenches(Both hand held instead of bench mounted.)And give it a try ?

Guess I would be better off to send these to a Smith.However how dangerous would it be if tried on my own ?And where can I get action and barrel wrenches(Both hand held instead of bench mounted.)And give it a try ?

Ptg makes a good remmy 700 inside action wrench. As far as a barrel vise just google them, alot of people make them. Sereval people make action wrenches also. I seen a defiance wrench for sale the other day that should work on the rem 700. Your going to want the vise wether on the action or barrel mounted to a bench or something.

So you think it would definitely be too hard to get a factory barrel off with just two wrenches and no bench?

Google " How to install a short chambered barrel"

It explains a lot of what has already been provided by the others on this thread.

As long as you use the go and no go gages properly it would be safe. But may not time so that the stamping of caliber etc is right.

The cost of some of the tools you would need may exceed, unless your planning on rebarreling several more(thereby distributing the costs across a few) buying a new or used rifle complete.

My smith prepares an index card for each barrel he chambers, with all pertinent dimensions on it. When I need a new barrel, I just call him and order it. He chambers my new barrel to those internal dimensions, I pick it up and bring it home, remove the old one in my barrel vise, and install the new barrel. Of course, this applies to using the same action with every new barrel.

its always good to see someone take the leap and try something new to them ..but, do yourself a favor and research enough to feel confident before you proceed , there are really fast ways to ruin that action

you have to understand the inside of the action and how its made , to understand how the bolt face will be different depth on every different 700 action ... it seems to me that you are under the impression that they are all the same,

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/barrels/criterion-remington-remage/

they will have , the barrel of your choice and all the tools needed to change it --

Last edited:
It is definitely something that can be learned. And it sounds like you're going about this the right way. Ask lots of questions. Once you start getting answers coming in Google is your friend. Depending on your level of knowledge and experience some of the terms used in the answers you'll receive are not understood. Look them up. Read everything you can get your hands on. Even if you choose to take it to Smith the more you understand about what he is doing the better questions you can ask and fully understand what you're getting for your money. Either way the continued education will benefit you. As to how exactly these processes are done, there are entire books written about chambering rifles, so more than can be covered in a few forum posts.

Attachments

• 15520519211916216698033450635984.jpg
    15520519211916216698033450635984.jpg
    823.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 1552051942461342061160889218915.jpg
    1552051942461342061160889218915.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 200
Best advice you might get is this Adage: "If you have to ask!" "Don't until you do some reading." Like stated. You can learn quickly but read read read and ask ask ask first. Don't do anything until then. Some Things that seem pretty straight forward with firearms cannot be undone, or worse-can hurt or kill you or someone else.

We all learned. Just like you will.

So,you think it would definitely be too hard to get a factory barrel off with two wrenches and no bench?
I have taken enough Remington 700's and ruger m77's apart to confidently say that you will never get one apart without a bench mounted vice. As far as I know there isn't anyone who makes a barrel vice that doesn't mount to a bench. I was in your shoes a long time ago wanting an affordable DIY rifle project, unfortunately it is much more of an investment than you think. There is no way to do it right and cheap. As others have said the only way to do it right with minimal tooling is to use a barrel nut. Please don't go buy a used barrel and spin it on your action, what have you gained by doing that anyway? You might as well leave it as is if you are just going to put on someone else's worn out old barrel. You are better off selling that ruger or trading it for a savage or another Remington because no one makes pre-chambered barrels for those. There is a possibility that you can remove a factory Savage barrel with nothing more than a hammer and a punch. However, it will only be possible with the notched barrel nut and you will probably ruin the barrel nut to remove it. My advice is to take the Remington to a smith and ask him to remove the barrel for you, it will cost less that an action wrench and barrel vice. Then buy a "lightly used" remage barrel from the classified section, rent a headspace gauge and barrel nut wrench from 4d rentals, or elk ridge reamers and put it together the right way.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.