Rebarrelling

Inside wrenches are dangerous for removing factory barrels. The action can twist.

I've never seen that but I don't do much with factory actions or barrels. I'd be more worried about making darn sure the wrench fits as it should

Just my 2 cents, but if you want a switch barrel using a barrel nut arrangement get your gunsmith to machine a bugnut barrel tenon. Then you can use any action you want and with bugnut and action wrenches and headspace gauges you can do the barrel changes. See bugholes.com for the details.

Just my 2 cents, but if you want a switch barrel using a barrel nut arrangement get your gunsmith to machine a bugnut barrel tenon. Then you can use any action you want and with bugnut and action wrenches and headspace gauges you can do the barrel changes. See bugholes.com for the details.
Never come across them before but I really like the look, and the 2 piece wrench. Might have to build me a remage now

Personally...I'm done paying a gunsmith $5-700 for a new barrel on standard actions. I can sell the gun used, buy a brand new one, and only be out about $3-400. I still have to size all the loaded ammo to shoot it, new load development, etc with a new barrel so there is not one bit of time or money saved. So all my new guns are Savage, and I can put on a pre-chambered quality barrel for under $300.

I am curious how hard it is to rebarrel a rifle and if I can do it without a bench mounted barrel vise,and just with hand wrenches and where I can buy a hand action and barrel wrench to do so.Also what other procedures such as head spacing etc are necessary to rebarrel.
I admire your guts, if you have never done this before, here are some of the things you will need. Both the Ruger and the Rem are nice actions to rebarrel, but your going to need some equipment. You need a toolroom or gunsmith lathe, you absolutely need a barrel vise, either bench mounted our a fixture you can hold in a bench vise. You will need various measuring equipment, Micrometers, thread mics, depth mics, indicators for truing your work. These are a few of the things you will need. Also the knowledge of how to use these items. Most of these tools can be purchased from Larry Potterfield in the gunsmith section at midway. Hope I didn't discourage you, again I admire your desire to learn.

Sad part is that many of the replies to this post are by folks that do not have experience with various actions. Most of the action types have different methods of head spacing just to start with. Example, the Mauser head spaces on the face of the of the action, no it does not, it head spaces on the inner ring and locks on the face. The 700 head spaces on the face of the action, no it does not, it head spaces on the recoil lug and it takes a tool to properly place and hold the removable recoil lug in place so it can be locked down by the barrel. You do not use a wrench on a rifle barrel, unless it is a strap wrench used on an older style rust blued barrel. A barrel vice is used on the barrel, an action wrench is used on the action. Do not use an insert action wrench to break a factory action loose from a barrel, it will twist the action, sooner or later, just a matter of time.

The correct answer to the original, post is, if you do not have the proper tools and as important, the experiance to use them, take your rifle to someone that does.
Ed

I already have a M77 and a couple of 700s.I thought I might be able to order some new heavy barrels made specifically the the 700 and M77, get a couple of barrel and action wrenches,float and glass the stocks,measure headspace with a depth guage or something,then put them back together but I looks like I may need to send these off to a Smith.
Unless you have a thorough understanding on how to headspace a shouldered barrel which requires a chamber reamer to adjust it in your case... I would have a qualified gunsmith do it. It's not a operator level change out.

I am curious how hard it is to rebarrel a rifle and if I can do it without a bench mounted barrel vise,and just with hand wrenches and where I can buy a hand action and barrel wrench to do so.Also what other procedures such as head spacing etc are necessary to rebarrel.
There is a reason one pays me $250 plus dollars to rebarrel a rifle. Knowledge, experirnce, machinery, tooling, measuring devices, insurance, FFL, ITAR registration, all come with a price tag. Anyone can rebarrel a rifle, but will it be accurate and or go kaboom. Let us know how you do, give us a report with pictures and targets.
Good luck with this venture.
Rustystud

Last edited:
NO. Not unless its a Savage or similar using a nut. Factory actions are so sloppy there is little chance it will be properly headspaced. If you really want to swap barrels you need to get a Savage but it really sounds like maybe you don't have the aptitude? No offense but your questions lead me to my statement.
That's kind of a low blow isn't bro?

That's kind of a low blow isn't bro?

If you think honesty is a "low blow". If you don't know what you are doing 60k psi is not something to be playing with. I will not be part of someone losing a eye, finger, or worse. If I am wrong then he can straighten me out. I really don't think anyone who understands what is required to barrel their own action would be asking those questions. Again I was not trying to offend.

I have my own lathe and have started doing some test threading and other things on it. I've had a guy who does very good gunsmith chambering on mine and I have watched him, it's not as easy as it looks or read about. Theres ways to keep from chatter and rings in your chamber.
O.P dont take some of the criticism badly, take it as words of advice I also dont think you understand what it takes to thread, chamber and crown a barrel properly but that is in know way should discourage you. Try to find somebody that will mentor or you can watch just understand there not gonna tell you everthing it's an art and they've spend a but load of time and money perfecting it and it's not cheap.

I would check local first because if you have problems it will be easy to get it back to the smith.
Beware a good gunsmith has a back log and may take awhile to get it done.
Now is busy time for a gunsmith.
I had a friend that had his rifle rebarrelled by a gunsmithing school and it took awhile but came out very good as a master gunsmith stood over the guys doing the work and nothing was less than perfect.
My 2 cents
Old Rooster

So you think it would definitely be too hard to get a factory barrel off with just two wrenches and no bench?
Give Brownells a call. Also don't forget with the Remington,and even a Remage,you will need to hold the recoil lug in the correct position before torque the nut. The Savage action has a pin in the lug,so no special means needed to hold it. I would recommend starting with the Savage because it is much more suited to barrel replacement by the novice. The Remage still requires lathe work. However once done,its just a matter of setting the headspace and tightening the nut. There are many folks selling Savage pre-fit barrels,and the quality is only limited by your budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts