rebarrel?

Ok now that I don't own a savage (will change shortly) do I buy a long action and build a 6.5-06, or a short action and build a 6.5x47 lapua?.... I like what I've read on both but grew up shooting my dads ole 06.....input plz?

Ok now that I don't own a savage (will change shortly) do I buy a long action and build a 6.5-06, or a short action and build a 6.5x47 lapua?.... I like what I've read on both but grew up shooting my dads ole 06.....input plz?

What will be your primary use of the rifle?

With eather the 6.5-06 or the 6.5x47 ill be using a Shilen 26" savage heavy varmint contour 1:8 twist ratchet stainless barrel( Ive read 100-200fps gain over standard rifling with same charge pushing it, should extend barrel life if less fire makes same velocities?) Firing 120-140 grain vld bullets and on even my most trigger happy days it might see 20-30 rounds max a day with plenty of bolt open cooling after a 3 ta 5 shot group..most days it'll be picking off crows ground hogs or yotes(5-10 rounds a day average..) I drive a semi so I'm not home a lot to shoot anyway but now that I've got my wife shooting it'll be more often...I'm leanin toward the 06 now just cause I'm liking the longer range power....I'm developing cartridge a.d.d....

Also if I buy a Stevens or any non accutrigger savage can I replace the trigger with an accutrigger my self? A friend of mine just put a jewel on his .308 and still has his old accutrigger....again...gun a.d.d....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.