rebarrel?

codyjoe1128

Is it possible/worth while to rebarrel a savage model 10 in .223 to .243... I love my .223 but I really want a .243 but I don't want a whole nother gun....I like my model 10 but wanna reach out a lil farther...

Possible and not that difficult to do (not that difficult for me, can't say how easy to do for you). You will need to switch the bolt face to one that can handle the .308 style cartridges.

You can take the barrel off with a barrel nut wrench, some barrel blocks and a vise. I like the Wheeler barrel wrench because it has holes for a torque wrench to fit it.

(that is if you have the barrel nut with the notches).

If not, you can buy one (wrench) from sharp shooter's supply, designed for the smooth barrel nut.

Ten 4...I'm fairly mechanically inclined and fully customized my old 10/22 so I'm sure I can figure it out...who and where to look for a barrel? And head spacing?

You can order head-space gauges. go, no-go, and field.

Barrels, you can get direct from barrel manufactures such as Pacnor, Shilen..

You can also get some straight from Sharp Shooters Supply.

Last edited:
Best of luck,

Oh, BTW, you probably have small shank barrel dia, wouldn't hurt to check. You can see by the barrel nut design, you can take caliper measurement of barrel diameter..

Have fun, hope it ends up being quite a shooter.

Or how bout a 6.5x47 lapua? Just stumbled on to some stuff on it...a do it all, if I can see it its dead, long range nail driver? How easy on barrels, and what not.? Anybody know much about it? I'd probly go with a 8 twist 26 or 28" on it too...

Ok done a lot more reading on the 6.5x47 lapua... Small shank savage model 10 in 6.5x47 lapua 26-28" barrel...next and final question who's barrel will be better? McGowwen or Shilen? Better as in last longer and shoot better?

I like the prices of the McGowen...but like the idea of the ratchet rifling of the Shilen.....how much trouble am I going to have using the factory internal box magazine? Or do I just buy one for like a .308?....I'm using midway for a lot of stuff on this...scope, rings, barrel wrench, bolt head....

Well now ill be building off of a Remington 700 short action...a friend of a friend has a .204 ruger and really wants my all camo .223.....anybody interested in a .204 ruger model 700?

Well my wife loves the Remington 700 .204 ruger, shot and killed a nice sized doe at close to 300 yards. One shot one kill...32 grain v max made the heart a mess no exit hole....no meat wasted....so now ill be buying myself another savage to build off of....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.