Rebarreling a Weatherby Mark V 9 lug action for either 6.5 PRC or 7 PRC

JohnCZ

Hi
I have a Mark V ULW currently chambered in 300Wby, excellent shooter overall and un-braked kicks like a mule at 3.5kg scoped.
I was wondering if the Mark V action feeds the 6.5mm PRC or 7mm PRC cases without having to alter the action. I do not wish to alter the rifle other than a barrel and I will be keeping my 300Wby barrel maybe for a later use.
Has anyone got advice on this having done it, and yes I know it is a magnum action and it is long but it just carries so well in the hills.
Cheers
John

Not sure why it wouldn't work just fine. Weatherby offers a multitude of factory chamberings other than standard wby cartridges. 270win,300win,280ai…the list could go on, and the fact that it's a long action is nothing but a positive that I can see. I think you'd be just fine but maybe some of the wby buffs will have more insight for you. Actually sounds like a really cool idea I love the mark V actions they don't get any stronger.

Hi
I have a Mark V ULW currently chambered in 300Wby, excellent shooter overall and un-braked kicks like a mule at 3.5kg scoped.
I was wondering if the Mark V action feeds the 6.5mm PRC or 7mm PRC cases without having to alter the action. I do not wish to alter the rifle other than a barrel and I will be keeping my 300Wby barrel maybe for a later use.
Has anyone got advice on this having done it, and yes I know it is a magnum action and it is long but it just carries so well in the hills.
Cheers
John
It sounds like your only issue is the felt recoil. I understand it is not for everybody but an efficient muzzle brake is a game changer. I have a .30 LARA with an MB, which is very pleasant to shoot.

1690888563193.png

The 300 Weatherby is a better hunting cartridge than the two you are considering...its available wherever hunting is done, (yesterday a guy could not even find cartridges at Sportsman's for the 7 PRC) field proven world wide game loads. You say it's accurate, but kicks...install a brake. I'm old and shoot the 300 RUM with 4.00" Cartridges with 101 grs of powder and 250 gr ATIPS, from the prone, with a good muzzle brake, it seems to hardly kick. You can do the same. I would never pick an inferior cartridge over the 300 Weatherby, for general all- around hunting...it's almost perfect all by itself...but it's your gun, however you desire it.

I also have a post running right now about Re barreling my 300 WBy ,Mag to a 6.5PRC. Not for hunting just for target shooting. I really think the 300 Wby Mag is an excellent hunting cartridge, despite its age. I just had a new Kick EEZ recoil pad put on my wood stock. A muzzle break would also help a lot. I just want to be able to put my 300 Wby Mag Barrel back on for Elk hunting, and put the 6.5 PRC barrel on for LR 1000 yard target shooting. I'm looking into Barrel Makers and Barrel vices and Action Wrenches right now. Once the target barrel is cut and fitted to my Mark V action; I should be able to switch barrels easily.

The 300 Weatherby is a better hunting cartridge than the two you are considering...its available wherever hunting is done, (yesterday a guy could not even find cartridges at Sportsman's for the 7 PRC) field proven world wide game loads. You say it's accurate, but kicks...install a brake. I'm old and shoot the 300 RUM with 4.00" Cartridges with 101 grs of powder and 250 gr ATIPS, from the prone, with a good muzzle brake, it seems to hardly kick. You can do the same. I would never pick an inferior cartridge over the 300 Weatherby, for general all- around hunting...it's almost perfect all by itself...but it's your gun, however you desire it.
I am happy with the 300Wby and the recoil is fine but anyone that says it is light in a light rifle is lying, bought a brake recently mostly for load development. I was toying with the PRC idea more so just playing around than anything else. It is either going to be a barrel in my Mark V or in my Rem 700 (currently 300Win) although as stated I do not want to change the action for the PRC round as I like both of my 300s.

I was just working up some loads for a friends 300 Weatherby yesterday and expected to get hit hard with the recoil but with no brake on it was not bad at all wood stock, I guess I am used to shooting my 458 win mag off the bench. but if yours kicks hard do put a brake or suppressor on it will make a big difference. have fun

I am happy with the 300Wby and the recoil is fine but anyone that says it is light in a light rifle is lying, bought a brake recently mostly for load development. I was toying with the PRC idea more so just playing around than anything else. It is either going to be a barrel in my Mark V or in my Rem 700 (currently 300Win) although as stated I do not want to change the action for the PRC round as I like both of my 300s.
You shouldn't need to change the action. 7mm PRC and 300 WBY/300WIN are Both Long Action and the same bolt face.
6.5PRC is same bolt face I believe

I also have a post running right now about Re barreling my 300 WBy ,Mag to a 6.5PRC. Not for hunting just for target shooting. I really think the 300 Wby Mag is an excellent hunting cartridge, despite its age. I just had a new Kick EEZ recoil pad put on my wood stock. A muzzle break would also help a lot. I just want to be able to put my 300 Wby Mag Barrel back on for Elk hunting, and put the 6.5 PRC barrel on for LR 1000 yard target shooting. I'm looking into Barrel Makers and Barrel vices and Action Wrenches right now. Once the target barrel is cut and fitted to my Mark V action; I should be able to switch barrels easily.
Kind of the same idea, really like my 300Wby and being an ULW it's a great all day carry when hunting. Looking to hunt Sambar deer (elk size) next year and I will take the 300Wby for sure.

Well from what I am learning, you can switch back and forth between barrels, with not to much difficulty. There is a U tube video of a guy who switches his barrels for different matches. The action remains in the stock, with the scope on it. He uses an internal action wrench to break it loose and the simply unscrews it, and puts the new barrel on, and tightens it. A lot like changing a tire!! Check out my thread on changing barrels on a Mark V action. Lots of the guys replying to you here, replied to me and gave me excellent advice. Good luck buddy!!

I was just working up some loads for a friends 300 Weatherby yesterday and expected to get hit hard with the recoil but with no brake on it was not bad at all wood stock, I guess I am used to shooting my 458 win mag off the bench. but if yours kicks hard do put a brake or suppressor on it will make a big difference. have fun
Not the most recoil just fast in a light rifle. That 458 off a bench lets you know when to hang on.
Did the same with a 460Wby, just ugly but I was younger.
Cheers

It sounds like your only issue is the felt recoil. I understand it is not for everybody but an efficient muzzle brake is a game changer. I have a .30 LARA with an MB, which is very pleasant to shoot.

View attachment 482409
That's a great looking round, sexy belt ;) Recoil is fine as the Mark V has that squishy recoil pad, comes back fast though. Bought a Quadramax brake the other day for bench work. More so just wanting to have a play with something else for a bit, was even thinking 264WinMag.

we were all a little nuts when we were younger
My first rifle was a 300WBY back in 86. Guy I bough it from fired 4 shots in the 60's, and put it away. He gave me 6 boxes -4 rounds of ammo with it. I fired all 116 rounds in one morning. Black and blue shoulder for a week. Guess I was a little nuts then. It is still my favorite rifle/cartridge.

Recent Posts