Convince me: medium or short action for 6.5 prc

badseed

Im looking to build a 6.5prc ( yes I know there are plenty of other options but this caliber fills a niche in my safe). I do plan to reload for it and I want to be able to maximize the bullet options. To do this, it seems like I need to build off a medium action to take into account the longer bullets like the 156s. From what I can tell, the longest COAL that I have seen somebody use was 3.1". A medium action will get me 3.2". A short action will only let me build to 2.980" (depending on magazine). My question is what would I be gaining or losing by choosing a medium action vs a short? Will that extra case capacity let me achieve higher velocity before hitting pressure issues? How much extra velocity would be gained or lost?

You could go with a Long Action and use the Hawkins M5 with Hunter DBM, they make a spacer kit to use for 6.5 PRC, 300WSM, 6.5 SAUM. This will give you plenty of room to grow.

You could go with a Long Action and use the Hawkins M5 with Hunter DBM, they make a spacer kit to use for 6.5 PRC, 300WSM, 6.5 SAUM. This will give you plenty of room to grow.
Im not a huge fan of the spacer. I have a variety of 30 cal long actions so I don't ever see a need to grow this rifle into something else. Plus, lets face it, why repurpose a rifle a rifle when you can just get another one? So far the biggest drawback I am seeing to a purpose built medium action is tracking down a stock.

If you are really really in love with the 156 grain EOL then sure pamper her (but she'll do just fine at 3"). You can get better drop from a lighter faster bullet, but the 156 will come out ahead for windage. The 156 is really the only reason to even worry about it (not even sure it is).

I've built a few on medium and short actions. A medium action would be my first choice if sourcing everything for a fresh new build. If I already had a short action to work with I'd install a Wyatts Baney box if the action allowed it, this will get you 3.100 inside the box. That length will work out great with a 156gr Berger using using the Alex Wheeler spec reamer. I've been using 24" Proof Research barrels and have been getting right at 3000 fps with Rl-26 and close to the same with N565.

Sounds like the general consensus is that a new 6.5 prc build should be in a medium action. A short will work but a medium is better suited. Alright, you've convinced me. Looks like its going to be a medium action build.