6.5 prc savage action

den

looking for opinions on barreling a Small Shank savage action with barrel nut set up in the 6.5 prc want to screw one on a la staggerfed action is this a good idea or not ?? thank you

You didn't say if it is long or short action. Check OAL on the 6.5 and see what loaded rounds are. Short action has about 2.875 comfortably.

Should work good, only thing you may have to play with a little would be feeding. If a problem, a gunsmith could help, or sometimes just bending the z spring to put a little more or less tension in it is all needed.

I did a 6.5 SAUM and it works fine. I read a lot online about expansion of the chamber with small shanks. Talked to a few good smiths and they had no concern so I went for it. I built on a LA because that is what I had but used the factory SA WSM center feed box which is about 2.9+" I think (don't have the numbers in front of me).

I built one on a short action, with a wsm magazine. Work flawlessly. Your only restriction is your limited to a aol of apx 2.960.
With .130 freebore reamer this won't be an issue, If your using a .188 freebore the longer bullets will need ro be jumped around .050 to fit in the magazine

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.