6.5 prc

As it has been stated extremely well; HEAT kills barrels. 3 shot strings and let barrel cool down to touch naturally or get a small battery powered bait bucket aerator to push air down the barrel after each 3 shot string to help cool it down faster. They work, are cheap and you can make all kinds of crushed ice water systems to push air through to enhance cooling air down the barrel. One of those large crazy plastic straw glasses where the straw spirals around in the glass is perfect for easy conversion. Just add crushed ice and water and hook up the pump and voila! I do most of my main shooting in winter for this reason plus hardly anyone ever at range. Good exercise to walk through snow to target berms too! The exertion will help test your breathing control!

As it has been stated extremely well; HEAT kills barrels. 3 shot strings and let barrel cool down to touch naturally or get a small battery powered bait bucket aerator to push air down the barrel after each 3 shot string to help cool it down faster. They work, are cheap and you can make all kinds of crushed ice water systems to push air through to enhance cooling air down the barrel. One of those large crazy plastic straw glasses where the straw spirals around in the glass is perfect for easy conversion. Just add crushed ice and water and hook up the pump and voila! I do most of my main shooting in winter for this reason plus hardly anyone ever at range. Good exercise to walk through snow to target berms too! The exertion will help test your breathing control!
Does that introduce more condensation to the bore, in your experience? Thanks

Nope, you are not adding moisture to the air just cooling it down since it is not in contact with the water solution. You are pushing the air through the tubing that is in the solution so there is heat exchange not direct contact. The aerator pushes such low volume of air it has enough residence time to cool down a little bit not a lot but I take anything I can to help shorten the cool down time of a barrel.

Plus I am still shooting so the is no time for any air to sit in barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts