6.5 prc

hammer111

I want to get a bergara ridgeback, but the smallest caliber that comes with a 26 inch barrel is the 6.5prc .

Ok don't laugh to hard , but he's my question.
Can the 6.5prc be made into a 260.

I'm reading that the prc is a barrel burner. I'm thinking making it a 260 will extend life of the barrel.

I know it's derived from the ruger 300 short mag, so maybe that won't allow the 260 conversion.

Or just leave it alone.

You'd have to cut the tenon and rechamber. Prc, like anything else is only a barrel burner if you shoot hot loads and long strings. Long strings are what take exponential life out of the barrel. 3 shot strings will make the prc last a long time. Barrel life numbers are very subjective.

Ok got it. I'm just kinda thinking out loud. Thought came into my head , so I figured I'd through the question out there.

What is the typical barrel life of a speedster round.

Bolt face is also larger than 260. You would need a new bolt

1k-1500 depending on what your definition of shot out is

Ok got it. I'm just kinda thinking out loud. Thought came into my head , so I figured I'd through the question out there.

What is the typical barrel life of a speedster round.
Life? What kind of shot strings do you shoot? Do you push the limits of pressure? I've read some competitors have shot out barrels of 6.5-284s (comparable to prc) in 725 rounds. Hunting 6.5-284s will last much longer if only using 3 shot strings in practice.

Many br competitors claim 1250-1400 rounds. They shoot longer strings than your standard hunter. I have built many 6.5-284s and still own 2. Rounds count is below 200 on each, so my comments are from reading and not experience

I've always wanted a distance shooter.

The bergara seems like good platform.

Ill be shooting for fun. Learn to shoot distances, and Maybe a couple competitions.

Ill take my time, get good at 200yd .then work my way out.

I've always wanted a distance shooter.

The bergara seems like good platform.

Ill be shooting for fun. Learn to shoot distances, and Maybe a couple competitions.

Ill take my time, get good at 200yd .then work my way out.
With a good scope, 200 is almost a waste of ammo. A little practice at 300 and 500 and you'll never go back to 200 :) Enjoy

I want to get a bergara ridgeback, but the smallest caliber that comes with a 26 inch barrel is the 6.5prc .

Ok don't laugh to hard , but he's my question.
Can the 6.5prc be made into a 260.

I'm reading that the prc is a barrel burner. I'm thinking making it a 260 will extend life of the barrel.

I know it's derived from the ruger 300 short mag, so maybe that won't allow the 260 conversion.

Or just leave it alone.
Do you handload?

With a 140 gr bullet, a 6.5 PRC will get the same velocity as a 260 Rem at about 8,000 less PSI.

Which barrel will last longer, a 6.5 PRC using H1000 at 2750 FPS or a 260 Rem using H4350 at 2750 FPS?

Do you handload?

With a 140 gr bullet, a 6.5 PRC will get the same velocity as a 260 Rem at about 8,000 less PSI.

Which barrel will last longer, a 6.5 PRC using H1000 at 2750 FPS or a 260 Rem using H4350 at 2750 FPS?
Yes I roll my own. Does a heavy grain bullet lessen barrel wear is it a lighter bullet or neither.

The reason I say 200 yards is to learn , make sure I'm doing things right and move on from there

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.