rebarrel

huntwithme

i read somewhere that some barrel companies are having problems making 7mm prc barrels i just bought a rem 700 stainless steel 300 win mag off my brother for 300 bucks and decided to rebarrel it in 7mm prc is the rumer true or are they all good was looking at krieger or brux

i read somewhere that some barrel companies are having problems making 7mm prc barrels i just bought a rem 700 stainless steel 300 win mag off my brother for 300 bucks and decided to rebarrel it in 7mm prc is the rumer true or are they all good was looking at krieger or brux
I am not where you heard the rumor but barrel manufacturers make barrels by caliber (.28/7MM) and then chambered (7 PRC) by a gunsmith or barrel manufacturer, if they provide Gunsmithing service. There is a long lead time, though. Call the barrel manufacturer directly to find out.

The internet shooting websites are inundated with opinions on everything. Opinions don't cost anything and everyone thinks they are smarter than everyone else. They feel that they have to justify their decisions to seem like they made the correct decisions. You cannot believe everything you read on the internet.

Your best bet is to call the barrel makers you choose to chamber your new barrel. Discuss the chamber you need and then ask about the reamers they use. Get definitive answers before deciding. Based on delivery times from the top tier barrel makers, you might be better off using a gunsmith for your chamber instead of waiting several months for just the barrel. Even then, you could call some gunsmiths to see what barrels they have in stock and what their time frames are to complete a barrel for you.

Examine the real information not what might be opined on the internet.

Enjoy the search!

:)

Friend & shooting partner just got his barrels (2) last week, that he was supposed to receive last April.
To be fair though, these are custom barrels for benchrest competition.
Whole different animal from a barrel for hunting.

is 26 to long for the 7mm prc
No, you will gain maybe 50ish fps over a 24. If you use a carbon wrapped barrel the weight diff is fairly nominal. Lots of people are using 22s and 20s to make using suppressors easier. You can find velocity results in the forum and various FB groups on the shorter barrels.

Are you a handloader?
If so then the issue you'll have to deal with is the saami reamers have a tight chamber at the case head which will eventually cause clickers.
Just make sure your smith uses a reamer with .005 clearance above the web